Whip up some raspberry chocolate chip oatmeal cookie bars with ingredients you most likely have at home right now. They only require 10 minutes prep and are mixed up in one bowl – which means clean up is a cinch!
As much as I love baking I also despise it. So many things can go wrong.
I’ve had my fair share of baking fails, including (but not limited to) batter all over my oven, black encrusted baking pans and cookies glued to the sheet.
And then there’s the clean up. Oh, the clean up. When I’ve been baking my kitchen usually looks like somebody thought it was a good idea to give everything a light flour dusting.
Twenty bowls, spoons and measuring cups to wash. And just when you think you’re done – your cake decided to burn itself into the pan.
Not with these bars though. I love this recipe, it’s so easy and versatile. I used almost the same recipe to make the base of my Cranberry White Chocolate Fudge Oatmeal Bars because it’s just so delicious. You don’t even need a mixer to make them, you just stir the ingredients together with a wooden spoon and call it a day.
To be fair, I still tested these bars a few times.
At first I added a fudge filling like I did in the cranberry white chocolate version, but with the raspberry jam they turned out way too sweet. Then I added too much jam which made them kind of too jam-y.
Yeah, I didn’t know that was possible either.
But then I hit the sweet spot and the recipe turned out perfect.
Also I’d like to add that I’ve mastered them both with Baby Savory desperately trying to get her little hands into the bowl and with her strapped to my front in a baby carrier. I feel so accomplished now.
If you try this recipe, please do so with a baby tied to you and Instagram your lovely self with the hashtag #savorynothings!
OK, I’ll accept just a pic of your cookie bars – I love to see your photos!
- ⅔ cup (150g) butter, softened
- ¾ cup (150g) white sugar
- ⅓ cup (65g) brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1¼ cups (155g) all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 1¾ cups (155g) quick oats
- ⅔ cup (100g) mini chocolate chips
- ¾ cup (247g) seedless raspberry jam
- Preheat the oven to 360°F (180°C). Line a 8x8 inch square baking pan with parchment paper or aluminium foil, leaving a small overhang to lift out the bars later.
- Mix the butter and both sugars in a large bowl until creamy. Mix in the egg until the mixture seems fluffy. Add the flour, soda and salt and stir in until well combined. Don't worry, you can't overmix this! Finally fold in the oats and the chocolate chips.
- Evenly distribute a bit more than ¾ of the dough in your baking pan. I find this works best with clean, lightly damp hands. Spread with the raspberry jam and then drop the remaining dough on top in small blobs.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 25 minutes or until the top is golden brown. Allow to cool in the pan completely before lifting out and cutting into bars.