Cauliflower Hazelnut Soup Recipe
- 6 tablespoons butter divided
- 2 tablespoons heaping ground hazelnuts
- 1 large onion roughly chopped
- 1 pound cauliflower roughly chopped, about 1 and 1/2
- 4 small potatoes peeled and roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 vanilla pod sliced open lengthwise and seeds removed
- 4 slices white bread crusts removed, toasted and finely chopped
- 1/4 cup hazelnuts chopped
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 1/2 tablespoons aged balsamic vinegar
- Freshly ground black pepper and salt to taste
- To a large, wide bottomed pan add three tablespoons of butter and cook over medium heat until browned and fragrant. Add the ground hazelnuts and roast in the butter until they start to change color. Add the onions and another tablespoon of butter and continue cooking until the onion is translucent, about 3-4 minutes. Meanwhile, remove 1/8 of the cauliflower florets and set aside. Add the rest to the pot together with the potatoes and roast over medium high heat, stirring frequently, until browned.
- Pour the white wine into the pot and allow to cook for 1-2 minutes. Add the vegetable broth,nutmeg, vanilla seeds and pod. Bring to a boil, then cover and let simmer on low heat for 20-30 minutes or until the cauliflower starts falling apart.
- In the meantime, make the topping: Finely chop the cauliflower florets set aside. Add the remaining two tablespoons of butter to a hot frying pan. Melt over medium high heat, then add the chopped cauliflower, hazelnuts and bread crumbs. Roast until browned and crispy, then set aside.
- Once the soup is done cooking, purée with an immersion blender. Stir in the cream and season with balsamic vinegar, black pepper and salt.
- Serve topped with the hazelnut crumble.