Chimichurri Chicken Tacos with Tomato and Watercress Salad – a stunning but easy recipe! Made with chili and lime and sure to be a show-stopper this summer!
Chimichurri Chicken Tacos! With Tomato and Watercress Salad! For Taco Tuesday! Aaaah, I can hardly contain my excitement!
Yes this post is all about the chicken and the herby chimichurri sauce and a delicious sun-dried tomato and watercress salad – but secretly it’s ALL about those homemade soft taco shells slash flatbreads which take these tacos to a totally new level!
Uhm, side note: Sorry, atomic colors ahead. Believe you me, whatever I did to those herbs, they would just not lower their color saturation. Meanies.
OK, back to those taco babies.
A few weeks ago I read the phrase “Taco Tuesday” for the first time ever.
We’re not so big on Mexican food here in Switzerland (or in all of Europe really) so it’s not something we’ve been eating regularly (ugh, what have we been missing out on?!).
Yes, a local supermarket has tried to sell their overly priced tortilla wraps by creating “Fajita Friday” and dropping the price like 1% for that particular occasion but other than that – it’s kind of like everyone who’s eating avocados and tortilla chips thinks they’re eating Mexican food.
Now I’m certainly not claiming this to be the most authentic street taco you’ve ever eaten but who cares, it is DELICIOUS!
And dare I say it’s super simple and easy to prepare as well?
Despite making your own flatbreads – this will easily take you less than an hour AND it’s super fun to get the kids involved in the kitchen.
They can help making the flatbreads and I bet they will be super excited about it!
It’s not like I’m going to admit how excited I was, making my own taco shells/flatbreads/whatever this deliciousness can be called.
And P.S: They are so sturdy they don’t even need taco holders, a bit of parchment paper or a napkin will do for picture-perfect stabilization. I may have shed a tear or two but that’s a secret between us, mmmkay?
TACOS! I think we need to make Taco Tuesday a regular occurrence in this household.
For the Taco Shells
- 2 1/4 cup PLUS 1 heaping tablespoon all-purpose flour, 300g
- 2/3 cup cornmeal, 100g
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon dried herbs
- 1/4 cup olive oil, 60ml
- 3/5 cup water, 100ml
For the Chimichurri Chicken
- 1 cup parsley, chopped, 25g
- 1/4 cup oregano, chopped, 6g
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Olive oil
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- 1 pound chicken breasts, cut into strips, 450g
For the Sun-Dried Tomato and Watercress Salad
- Juice of 2 Limes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons mustard
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- 20 in sun-dried tomatoes, chopped, not packed oil
- 4 cups watercress, 140g
- 2 red chilies, thinly sliced
To Make the Taco Shells
- Mix all dry ingredients in a large bowl. Make a small well in the middle and pour in the olive oil and water. Knead into an elastic dough on a lightly floured surface, place back in the bowl and cover with a kitchen towel to rest.
- Once the chimichurri sauce is done and the chicken is grilling, preheat a non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Divide the dough into 8 balls. Roll out each ball into a circle and cook in the pan one at a time, until the underside is lightly golden. Flip and cook for another minute, then keep under a dishtowel until ready to serve. This will soften the flatbreads so they can be folded around the taco filling.
To Make the Salad
- Whisk the lime juice, olive oil and mustard into a dressing and season to taste.everything else is ready. Just before serving, add the watercress and chilies and toss.
To Make the Chimichurri Chicken
- Mix the parsley, oregano, vinegar and garlic cloves in a large bowl. Add enough olive oil to create a nice suspension, then season with salt and pepper.
- In a grilling pan set over medium-high heat grill the chicken until done, about 5-7 minutes. Toss the hot chicken with about 1/2 cup of the chimichurri sauce, set the rest aside for serving.
- Serve the soft taco shells topped with chicken and watercress salad and the extra chimichurri sauce.
Nutrition (this is an estimate)