Chocolate Chip Banana Whole Wheat Pancakes are a delicious healthy breakfast option. Full of delicious flavor and so fluffy – try them this weekend!
We are definitely a pancake family.
And a waffle family. French toast. Scrambled eggs.
OK, maybe we’re a general breakfast family, and breakfast or brunch dishes go any time of the day for us.
Since we eat breakfast for dinner
from time to time on a weekly basis, I try to up the nutrition by making simple swaps like using whole wheat flour (like in my chocolate chip banana waffles), adding Greek yogurt (which is in my chocolate chip banana bread) and cutting back on the sugar or using alternative sweeteners (I like using honey in my Chunky Monkey Baked Oatmeal Cups).
I love these simple Chocolate Chip Banana Whole Wheat Pancakes for their simplicity, how fast they are to prep and that they have so many food groups combined in them:
Healthy carbs from the whole wheat flour, protein from the eggs, at least a bit of fruit, some healthy fats… And chocolate chips for the soul.
My kids gobble these up like crazy and I love it when I get an easy way out from cooking dinner a few times per month.
My tips to make these Chocolate Chip Banana Whole Wheat Pancakes foolproof:
- Mash the bananas well to avoid large pieces of banana still left in there. The banana acts as a sweetener and binder, gives the pancakes stability so they turn out fluffy without collapsing – so they need to be well dispersed throughout the batter.
- If you don’t have buttermilk, just use 1 cup regular milk and mix in 1 teaspoon of white wine OR apple cider vinegar. Let it sit on the counter for 5 minutes of until it has curdled. Mix well before using. In a pinch, just a cup of regular milk will work, too.
- Make sure to melt the fat if you’re using coconut oil or butter. I have tried making them with just beating the oil or butter with the milk because I was lazy, but it doesn’t turn out well at all.
- We always make these with 100% whole wheat flour, but they also work with white flour or a mix. Your choice!
- Do not, let me repeat, DO NOT overmix the batter. The wet and dry ingredients just need to come together, some lumps are absolutely fine. If you overmix it, your pancakes will end up flat, dense and mean.
Well, I don’t know about the mean for sure… But that’s what I call the pancakes when I accidentally overmixed the batter because my tiny distractions were climbing up my legs again 😉
With these delicious and nutritious pancakes, it’s definitely OK to be a pancake family – even if you make them for dinner three nights in a row.
Not that I’d know anything about that kind of behavior.
Get the printable Chocolate Chip Banana Whole Wheat Pancakes recipe:
Chocolate Chip Banana Whole Wheat Pancakes
Chocolate Chip Banana Whole Wheat Pancakes are an easy and healthy breakfast idea. Try them this weekend!
- 2 cups whole wheat flour OR all-purpose OR a mix
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon white sugar optional
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 large banana mashed
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon oil or butter melted if solid
- Mix the dry ingredients: Add all dry ingredients to a large bowl and whisk until they're well combined.
- Mix the wet ingredients: Add all wet ingredients to a measuring jug and whisk until they're well combined.
- Add wet to dry: Pour the wet ingredients into the bowl with the dry ingredients and carefully fold together, taking care not to overmix!!
- Cook pancakes: Heat a large nonstick frying pan or griddle over medium heat. Add 1/4 cup of batter per pancake and cook until bubbles form on top. Flip and finish cooking for 1-2 minutes, or until done. These burn easily due to the banana, so watch them closely.
- Serve: Serve while hot, so the chocolate is all gooey and melty! We love these with just a drizzle of honey or maple syrup and a pat of butter. Usually we have some sliced fruit or a simple fruit salad on the side, too.