Cinnamon Brown Sugar Plum Cake Recipe – A simple and delicious cake full of wonderful fall flavors! Perfect for both entertaining and quiet weekends at home.
I’ve been craving sugar lately. Life with a newborn isn’t as easy as I imagined.
So I decided to bake a cake while the little duckling was happily sleeping on her daddy’s chest.
For making the cake batter I used both my kitchen scales and my measuring cups.
Why? Because I’m complicated like that.
And then I remembered that I used to live for years without any kind of measuring tool and still managed to make beautiful desserts.
It’s not like I didn’t have access to a store selling inexpensive kitchen scales (hello IKEA!), it’s just that I was too cheap to put any amount of money towards kitchen scales or measuring cups if I had a tablespoon already at home. Because guess what?
It’s totally possible to bake a decent cake with the help of just a tablespoon.
I did at some point buy a beautiful vintage model of a kitchen scale at a second hand shop for very little money.
But in the end I used it more as a prop on my kitchen counter than for actual weighing of ingredients.
There was also a time when I didn’t possess a handheld electric mixer. Or a whisk.
And I decided to make a recipe requiring some whipped egg whites.
Now while measuring flour and sugar with a tablespoon isn’t such a big deal, whisking six egg whites with a fork kind of is.
I have since stocked up my kitchen with two kitchen scales, three whisks and an electric beater.
Baking got a little less fun but so much quicker and easier! And if there’s one thing I have learned in the past 2.5 weeks with my wee baby – I’m going to be needing a lot of quick and easy when it comes to time being spent in the kitchen.
But even though I’m a bit short on kitchen time right now I’m not willing to survive on frozen pizza and grilled cheese sandwiches.
I’m very much willing to survive on this cake though! It’s not difficult at all to put together and it’s even pretty enough to impress any last minute guests.
The batter is made in just a single bowl and doesn’t require a plethora of ingredients.
Plus you have some nice down time while the cake is baking away, spreading its nice fall flavors through your home.
All you need to make it are some kitchen scales and a handheld electric mixer. Or a spoon and a fork.
And even if you have to go with the more labor-intensive slow and cheap method I promise the result is absolutely going to be worth it!
Cinnamon Brown Sugar Plum Cake Recipe
* These are affiliate links and I make a commission for purchases made after clicking through.
- 2/3 cups butter softened
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 lb plums pitted and halved
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 320° F. Line the bottom of an 8-inch springform pan with parchment paper and grease the sides well.
- In a large bowl using a handheld electric mixer whip the butter until it turns creamy and small peaks form. Add the sugar and continue beating until the sugar is starting to dissolve, about 5 minutes.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition until the batter is light in color and even in texture.
- Sift the flour, cinnamon, baking powder and baking soda into the bowl and fold into the egg mixture using a rubber spatula.
- Spread the batter evenly in the springform pan. Scatter the plums on top. Mix the powdered sugar and cinnamon together and sprinkle over the cake.
- Bake in the middle of the preheated oven for 60 minute or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool in the pan before serving.