Easy Gingerbread Recipe
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/4 cup molasses not blackstrap - they are too bitter!
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 2/3 cups wholemeal spelt flour OR whole wheat
- 1 tablespoon gingerbread spice mix
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Warm the liquids: Place the honey, molasses and coconut oil in a small saucepan. Gently heat until warm and liquified. Allow to cool for 2-3 minutes.
- Mix the dough: In the meantime, stir together the flour, spice mix and baking powder in a large bowl. Add the cooled honey mixture and stir until well combined.
- Chill the dough: Cover the bowl and chill the dough for at least one hour in the fridge. You can leave it overnight if need be! Just make sure you remove it from the fridge about 10-15 minutes before you want to roll it out if you leave it for longer than 1 hour.
- Roll and cut the cookies: Preheat your oven to 320°F (160°C). Generously flour a work surface. Roll the dough to 1/3 inch thickness (8mm). Cut out cookies and place them on a lined baking sheet (I use silpat mats), leaving enough space between them.
- Bake the cookies: Bake for 9-10 minutes or until they're puffed up and starting to brown. They will still be soft, so allow them to cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely. They keep well in an airtight box for a week.