Far Breton with Port Soaked Prunes Recipe
- 7 ounces prunes pitted
- 1/3 cup port
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter melted
- Seeds from 1 vanilla pod
- 2/3 cup flour
- Combine the prunes and the port in a small saucepan and heat gently over medium heat. Cook them while stirring occasionally until most liquid has been absorbed, about 6-8 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside to cool. This step can be done one or two days in advance.
- To make the custard, blend the remaining ingredients together until smooth. Refrigerate overnight or at least four hours.
- When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 400°F. Butter a 7x11 inch square baking dish well and sprinkle with flour, shaking off any excess.
- Evenly cover the bottom of the baking dish with the soaked prunes. Whisk the chilled custard again before pouring it over the top of the fruit. Bake until the edges are puffy and the top is evenly browned, about 45 to 50 minutes. Allow to cool completely before serving with a dusting of powdered sugar.