Make your holiday dinner table even more festive with this colorful winter salad. It’s packed with seasonal flavors like persimmons and pomegranate, paired with buttery avocado and salty feta cheese. The orange and hazelnut dressing is outstanding!
What’s better during the winter months than a nice salad? Well, that just made me sound slightly crazy.
Actually we haven’t been having very cold weather here, yesterday I bundled up my little Em only to take off her hat, gloves and scarf again as soon as we got out the door.
I have to say, I don’t like warm weather in December at all. Not just because it’s not very Christmas-y, but also because it’s not exactly ideal for farmers and animals in nature. And as you know, the countryside and farming are two things near and dear to my heart.
If there’s one good thing coming out of this crazy weather we’ve been having it’s the justification to eat salad all day, every day. No, maybe not justification (because I never need that with salad), but more the desire to get close to anything that’s not piping hot.
This is one of my all-time favorite salad combinations, and even my sweet peas eat it without complaining. As a last-minute kind of idea, I added some hazelnut oil to the dressing*. I have to admit, I feel a bit like a fraud leaving you with a recipe this simple. But it’s simply too good not to share.
Festive Winter Salad Recipe with Persimmon, Pomegranate, Feta and Avocado
* These are affiliate links and I make a commission for purchases made after clicking through.
- 4 cups mixed baby leaf salad washed and drained
- 2 persimmons thinly sliced
- 4 ounces Feta cheese cubed
- 1 avocado cubed
- Arils of 1 pomegranate
For the Dressing
- Juice of 1 orange
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon toasted hazelnut oil optional
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Divide the baby salad greens between four plates. Arrange the other salad ingredients on top.
- To make the dressing, add all dressing ingredients to a jam jar. Tightly screw the lid on and shake the jar until a creamy dressing forms. Evenly drizzle over the salads and serve immediately.
Nutrition (this is an estimate)
Here are some of the exact products I used to make this salad for us. Click the images to view them on Amazon!
* I make a commission for purchases made through these links.