A super simple comfort meal, this mediterranean slow cooker chicken stew simmers in the crock pot all day long. In the evening it will have turned into a delicious dinner to serve your family!
You can either scroll through the entire post or jump straight to the sections:
I haven’t shared that many slow cooker dinners on Savory Nothings yet, mainly because I’m always scared they are too simple.
Though we all love simple dinners, right?
This slow cooker chicken recipe is a particular favorite in our house. It is full of flavors, vegetables and healthy fiber! I always love it when easy meals are so good for you.
Plus Em will eat a huge portion of it, which always makes me happy.
What You Need to Make This Mediterranean Slow Cooker Chicken Stew
How to stew chicken for a slow cooker chicken stew? In a slow cooker, of course!
I’m saying it like it’s mandatory, but if you don’t have a crock pot you can also make this stew in a large Dutch oven (this one would be perfect).
Simply place all ingredients in the pot, bring it to a boil, then reduce to simmer for anywhere between 45 minutes and 2 hours.
I do really recommend buying a slow cooker though, it’s a miracle appliance for busy households! You can see which one I have right here.
You’re going to be peeling loads and loads of potatoes and carrots for this recipe, so you better make sure you have a decent peeler at home!
Every time I have to peel a lot of produce, I’m glad I have my WMF power peeler!
There is so much fresh produce in this slow cooker chicken stew recipe!
I like using waxy potatoes, because they hold their shape. If you prefer to have a thicker sauce in the end, use starchy ones.
I’m also using bone-in chicken thighs here, because I find that they don’t dry out at all and produce a really nice overall flavor.
You can, of course, use boneless, skinless chicken breast cut into large cubes for a leaner stew.
Things to Watch Out for When Making this Slow Cooker Chicken Stew Recipe
★ How much liquid you like
My husband loves his stews quite soup-y, because that’s how his grandma used to make them.
So naturally, my stew recipe isn’t as thick as you might expect if you’re used to less liquid.
If you want to thicken the sauce, there’s a few things you can do:
- Use starchy potatoes instead of waxy ones – they will give off more starch to bind the sauce
- Halfway through cooking, add 2-4 tablespoons corn starch dissolved in a little bit of water. Stir it into the cooking liquid quickly and be prepared to add 30 minutes to the total cooking time.
- After cooking, blend a few of the potatoes with just enough cooking liquid. Stir this back into the stew.
★ The size of your slow cooker
You should use a 6 quart slow cooker for this recipe. A smaller crock pot will be crowded with the amount of vegetables, and in a larger one the stew might burn to the bottom.
Here’s the Printable Recipe for the Mediterranean Slow Cooker Chicken Stew:
Mediterranean Slow Cooker Chicken Stew Recipe
- non-stick cooking spray
- 1.5 pounds potatoes peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 large carrots cut into chunks
- 2 large celery stalks cut into chunks
- 2 large red peppers cut into chunks
- 2 15oz cans white beans
- 4 bone-in chicken thighs
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 1 28oz can crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups chicken broth plus 1 extra if needed
- Spray a 6 quart slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray.
- Place all ingredients except for the tomatoes and chicken broth into a 6 quart slow cooker.
- Mix 2 cups of broth with the tomatoes and pour it into the cooker as well. If it seems too dry, add a little more broth until most ingredients are just covered (it doesn't matter if the chicken sticks out a bit).
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours OR on high for 4 hours.