Do you need more easy weeknight dinner recipes for families? This One Pot Sun-Dried Tomato Chicken Bacon Pasta is just what you’re looking for!
The dish is made with lean chicken breasts, penne pasta, dried tomatoes, bacon, garlic, white wine, broth and milk. The creamy sauce has no cream at all, so this is the perfect healthy meal idea.
A Note from Nora
With two little kids at home now, I’m having to organize my kitchen game more than ever. So I’ve been relying on lots of one pot meals and other easy weeknight dinner options, like the One Pot Beef Stew I posted… Three days ago?
Also, this one has bacon. And if you haven’t noticed with the bacon wrapped meatloaf, the butternut squash mac and cheese with bacon – I’m pretty in love with the stuff. And this one pot pasta is delicious, too!
A few hints to make sure this tomato chicken bacon pasta is a true no-fail recipe:
Don’t be scared to get things truly browned
No, you don’t need to burn your food.
But do try to stick it out long enough until there’s actually some browned bits at the bottom of the pan to scratch away.
The more browning and caramelizing you allow to happen, the richer the taste of your food will be since the cooking time is so fast.
Be careful when adding the milk
This is mostly true if you’re using the white wine.
Because of the heat and the acid, the milk is prone to splitting. The trick is to take the pot off the heat before adding the milk, pouring it in slowly while stirring vigorously.
Sounds more complicated than it is ? but the faster you can stir it in, the better! And once it’s all incorporated, you can bring it back up to a simmer to thicken the sauce.
Add extra liquid if your family fights over the sauce
If you happen to have a few sauce addicts in the family (not that I would know anything about this ? ), you can easily add more milk to make a larger amount of the creamy sauce.
If it’s not thick enough for your taste with the extra liquid, thicken the sauce by mixing 1 teaspoon cornstarch with 1 tablespoon cold milk and stirring it into the simmering pot of pasta.
This is a meal to be eaten right away
I get a lot of questions on my one pot pasta recipes about making them ahead or freezing. I do absolutely not recommend this.
The reason is simple: The pasta will soak up all the liquid, turn into mush and yet the dish will still be dry because all the sauce is gone.
Dry, mushy pasta? No thanks. This is a fairly quick meal as-is, so reserve it for the nights you have at least 30 minutes to get dinner on the table.
If you want to stock up your freezer with a few make-ahead meals, rather go for things like stews or casseroles that are freezer-friendly.
If you need a quick and easy meal you can make in a pinch, get the printable one pot sun-dried tomato chicken bacon pasta recipe here:
One Pot Tomato Chicken Bacon Pasta Recipe
- 1 tsp oil
- 3 tbsp chopped bacon
- 2 chicken breasts cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 10 sun-dried tomatoes in oil drained and chopped
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 cup white wine optional, use more broth as a substitute
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups penne pasta
- 1 cup milk
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the bacon and cook for one minute. Add the chicken and cook until browned.
- Add the onion, garlic, tomatoes and Italian seasoning to the pot and cook for another 2-3 minutes while stirring often.
- Once the pot is sizzling hot and the bottom is starting to brown, pour in the white wine (or 1/2 cup chicken broth if not using wine). Bring the wine to a boil while scratching the browned bits off the bottom of the pot.
- Pour the chicken broth into the pot, add the pasta and stir well. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer for 8-10 minutes or until the pasta is almost done.
- Take the pot off the heat and quickly stir the milk into the pasta. Bring back to a low simmer until the sauce has thickened slightly, around 1 minute. Serve immediately.
Nutrition (this is an estimate)
More One Pot Pasta Recipes:
For more inspiration, check out our collection of easy one pot pasta recipes!