Quick Stovetop Apple Bacon Mac and Cheese Recipe
- 1 pound small pasta shapes
- 2 ounces bacon finely cubed
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 2 1/2 - 3 cups milk
- 8 ounces unsweetened applesauce
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheese
- Nutmeg salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot cook the pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Rinse the pot in cold water and wipe dry. Add back to medium-high heat and brown the bacon until crispy. Remove and set aside, leaving the bacon fat in the pot.
- Add the butter to the pot and melt. Reduce the heat to medium. Whisk in the flour and cook for 2-3 minutes, taking care not to brown the flour.
- Pour in all of the milk at once while whisking vigorously to avoid lumps from forming. Cook until thick and silky. Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Take off the heat and stir in the apple sauce before stirring in the cheese until melted. Add the pasta and bacon back to the pot and toss with the sauce.