This slow cooker turkey breast with cranberry apple wild rice is a simple fall dinner that only requires 5 minutes prep time! You could even serve it to a small family on Thanksgiving!
Sometimes it’s nice to make dinner by just stirring some ingredients into a crockpot and be done with it. Actually, this might just be my favorite kind of dinner prep these days.
It’s so convenient, because I can actually make a filling dinner with a toddler hanging onto my knees. Plus clean-up is so easy AND the kitchen doesn’t turn into a mess in the process.
This would even be great for a small family who doesn’t want to cook an entire turkey for Thanksgiving. Instead this slow cooker turkey breast recipe makes a reasonable amount of meat for four people, plus a side dish of wild rice studded with apples and cranberries. You could easily double the amounts and use a larger slow cooker to feed more people.
A word of warning though: If you like our rice very grainy this might not be the ideal recipe for you. It does turn out pretty cooked in the slow cooker, which was perfect for me because I love soft foods, and perfect for my toddler who only has six teeth. To my surprise my husband who is a strong supporter of rice and pasta cooked just al-dente liked it though so it can still be a great compromise for families with small kids who can’t really manage harder rice yet.
Slow Cooker Turkey and Cranberry-Apple Wild Rice Dinner Recipe
- 1 cup brown and wild rice mix uncooked
- 1 apple cored and chopped
- 1/4 cup sweetened dried cranberries
- 2 cups water
- 1 pound boneless skinless turkey breast
- cranberry sauce for serving (optional)
- Add the rice, apple and cranberries to a 4-quart slow cooker. Stir together and pour the water on top. Lay the turkey breast on the rice mixture and cook covered on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4. Serve with cranberry sauce if you like.
Nutrition (this is an estimate)