For the Casserole:
- 5 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup maple syrup (OR brown sugar)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 16 oz French bread (cubed)
- 2/3 cup cream cheese (softened (you can also use light cream cheese, OR 1/2 cream cheese and 1/2 Greek yogurt))
- 2 cups sliced strawberries
For the Streusel:
- 1/3 cup white flour
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons cold butter (cubed)
- Extra strawberries and maple syrup
- Make the egg mixture: Whisk the eggs, milk, cinnamon, sweetener and vanilla together in a measuring cup.
- Layer the casserole: Place half of the bread in a 9×13 inch casserole dish. Top with the cream cheese and the strawberries. Pour over 1/3 of the egg mixture. Top with the remaining bread and egg mixture, making sure all bread cubes are soaked in the egg.
- Chill the casserole: Cover the casserole and refrigerate for at least two hours, better overnight.
- Make the streusel: Combine the flour, sugar and cinnamon for the streusel in a medium bowl. rub in the butter with your fingertips until coarse crumbs form. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Bake: Once you're ready to bake the French Toast Casserole, preheat the oven to 350°F. Bake the casserole for 30-40 minutes, or until set. Allow the bake to rest for 5-10 minutes before serving.