This healthy and kid-friendly Turkey, Pumpkin and Quinoa Slow Cooker Soup is an easy lunch or dinner option for busy families. Simply add all ingredients to your crockpot and it does your work for you!
What is it about Fall that it just gets busier and busier as time moves along?
What mom still has time to whip up a healthy meal every night in between all the school activities, holiday gatherings and getting the home and garden ready for cold weather?
I most certainly don’t, so I’ve been pushing it with the spaghetti dinners lately. So much so that I decided we needed something hearty and healthy to warm us up on a rainy Fall day.
In come crockpot soup recipes! And this Turkey, Pumpkin and Quinoa Slow Cooker Soup in particular.
It’s easy, it’s healthy and best of all: It’s kid-approved! The only job you have is getting the ingredients into the slow cooker, then just let it do its crock pot magic.
The recipe as written makes a rather mild soup, but if your kids are old enough and tolerate heat well you can easily swap the paprika for chili powder.
You can also add chicken breast instead of turkey breast, sweet potatoes instead of pumpkin or add a can of beans for even more hearty protein.
You may even use a large Dutch oven instead of a slow cooker, simply add all ingredients to it and simmer on medium-low heat for an hour or two, while making sure it boils once in the beginning.
If your kids aren’t wild about spinach in their soup (do any kids exist that are?) simply take out their portion of the Turkey, Pumpkin and Quinoa Slow Cooker Soup before adding in the spinach.
Or don’t add spinach at all, that’s just how easy, healthy and delicious this recipe is!
- Olive oil or non-stick cooking spray, for greasing the slow cooker
- 1 pound boneless skinless turkey breasts
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed under cold water and then drained
- 1 small pumpkin, winter squash or butternut squash
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp granulated garlic, optional
- 1 can 14.5oz chopped tomatoes
- 6 cups chicken broth, depending on how much liquid you like in your soup
- Fresh baby spinach and Parmesan to serve, optional
- Lightly grease a 6 quart slow cooker.
- Cut the turkey into bite sized pieces and add to the slow cooker along with the rinsed and drained quinoa.
- Peel and de-seed the pumpkin. Cut the flesh into cubes and add it to the slow cooker as well.
- Add the remaining ingredients (except for the spinach and parmesan) to the slow cooker. Cook on high for 3-4 hours or until the pumpkin is soft and the turkey and quinoa are cooked.
- Serve immediately with baby spinach leaves and shredded Parmesan cheese, if desired.
Nutrition (this is an estimate)