Easy Pumpkin Soup
This easy pumpkin soup is a hit during the cold fall and winter months. The perfect healthy comfort food for the whole family!
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
Total Time 45 minutes
Servings 8 people
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 medium onion roughly diced
- 1 carrot peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 small sweet potato peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 pounds pumpkin peeled and deseeded, roughly chopped
- 5 cups water OR chicken stock
- 1/2 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg or less if you're not a huge fan
- Salt + pepper to taste
- 1 bay leaf
- Cream to taste (optional)
Sauté the vegetables: Melt the butter in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onion, carrot, sweet potato and pumpkin and cook for 2-3 minutes.
Season the soup: Season with brown sugar, nutmeg, cumin, ginger, salt and pepper. Roast the vegetables for another 3-4 minutes, stirring from time to time, until they are starting to soften and brown.
Cook the soup: Pour the chicken stock over the vegetables. Add the bay leaf and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes.
Blend the soup: Take the pot off the heat and blend the soup until smooth. I like to use a stick blender when I'm short on time, but you can use a regular blender according to your manufacturer's instructions for hot liquids.
Finish the soup: Add the soup back over medium heat and heat through. Stir in cream to thin to your desired consistency, if desired. Warm for 2-3 minutes, then serve hot.
Calories: 68kcal | Carbohydrates: 13g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 3mg | Sodium: 36mg | Potassium: 484mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 13275IU | Vitamin C: 12mg | Calcium: 39mg | Iron: 1.1mg