Hey you! Welcome to Savory Nothings, my little slice of the Internet – where I share easy and tasty recipes your kids will love, that keep your wallet happy and make your noisy neighbor try and steal your kitchen secrets.
I’m Nora Rusev, and first and foremost, I’m a mom to three wonderfully crazy kids. I’m also married to a professional chef.
Which, when you think about it for a minute, makes life around the family table very hard sometimes:
- I have to please my picky little eaters, so my food needs to be kid-friendly
- I have to live up to the standards of a professional chef, so my meals need to be delicious
- I’m just a busy mom who’s trying to fit it all in, so my recipes need to be quick and easy
It’s a good thing I figured out how to cook in a way that satisfies all of those needs. But my life definitely wasn’t always like this!
Before I had a baby…
… I used to think that moms completely exaggerate when they talk about not finding the time to cook for their family.
I was convinced that I could just continue whipping up elaborate meals in my kitchen while my kids would happily sit there and watch me. (⬅︎ Are you laughing yet? Because I definitely am.)
But then I had my babies – and life turned upside down.
Suddenly I couldn’t just sleep in on Saturdays and then have breakfast at 11am anymore, or have dinner be a bowl of ice cream at 9pm. At first I was struggling. I cried when I meal planned for 3 HOURS EVERY WEEK. I struggled with keeping my kitchen organized – and made cooking for a family way too complicated in general.
about the blog
This blog was born out of a completely different reason, but as my life started to change with a new baby it has evolved into a passion to make the life of busy moms in the kitchen a whole lot easier.
I want to help you get out of the struggle of scrambling to get home in time for dinner prep (hint, hint: it doesn’t need to be three hours before dinner time!).
I don’t want you to feel anxious about parties and get-togethers because you have no idea if nap-time is long enough to make all those cute finger foods.
And I definitely don’t want you to take away from precious mom-time for the sake of cooking!
That’s why you can find a whole bunch of quick and easy foolproof family recipes here on Savory Nothings.
Of course, all recipes are tested and approved by me, my fancy-fancy-chef husband and my picky kids. Wait, did I say picky? I obviously meant wonderful.
You’re a champ. We were obviously meant to be virtual best friends, so here are a few special facts about me:
- I used to teach home economics before I had kids – I really love to cook, and I’ve been cooking for myself, for families as a nanny, as a home ec teacher and for my own babies for over a decade now.
- I usually test my recipes at least twice to make sure you will not end up getting mad at me because my cake destroyed your oven but please forgive me if it happens anyways. NO, don’t worry, it won’t happen.
- My favorite book of all times is Harry Potter. I pride myself in having read each and every one at least 10 times (not kidding). I also started reading them right as they came out, so I like to think of myself as a trendsetter (which, by the way, I’m decidedly not).
- As long as we’re confessing, I really love Twilight and all kinds of other teenage romance drama movies. Just one of my many flaws.
- I pretend to listen to cool British indie rock bands that don’t exist anymore. But really I’m just trying to cover up my obsession with Michael Bublé and Nursery Rhymes.
- I don’t do favorites, I’m simply too indecisive. Chocolate or vanilla? WHAT DO YOU MEAN “you can’t have both”?!
have any questions?
If your heart is exploding with questions or you just want to say hi – you can always eMail me.
I LOVE to hear from you! You can also join all the other quick meal lovers on the mailing list and receive my weekly newsletter – along with a free family meal plan!
I try my hardest to reply to every eMail and comment but sometimes I
go out to party fall asleep on the sofa and miss something – please forgive my old mom brain!