- I have to please two picky little eaters, so my food needs to be kid-friendly
- I have to live up to the standards of a professional chef, so my meals need to be delicious
- I’m just a busy mom who’s trying to fit it all in, so my recipes need to be quick and easy
Before I had a baby…… I used to think that moms completely exaggerate when they talk about not finding the time to cook for their family. I was convinced that I could just continue whipping up elaborate meals in my kitchen while my kids would happily sit there and watch me. (⬅︎ Are you laughing yet? Because I definitely am.) Luckily, Baby Savory came along and taught me what it means to care for a tiny human 24/7.
Just picture this:Me, standing there at 3 in the afternoon, still in my pyjamas, crying over a collapsed hundred-tiered cake because I was in a rush to go feed my little Tyrannosaurus baby. Maybe I was even frustrated enough to eat that cake with a spoon while sobbing about being a failure, but that’s pure speculation. I finally had to come to terms with the facts that a) Baby Savory wasn’t going to learn how to feed herself any time soon and b) we couldn’t live from burnt cake scraps and runny frosting forever.
But then I fell in love.In love with the beauty of one pot meals. The practicality of one bowl baking and the occasional venture into dressing up semi-ready meals for those emergency situations. I started realizing that things like sheet pan dinners or simple pasta dishes can be even more delicious than a fancy three course meal, if only because they kept me sane enough so I could actually enjoy my meal, too.
about the blogThis blog was born out of a completely different reason, but as my life started to change with a new baby it has evolved into a passion to make the life of busy moms in the kitchen a whole lot easier. I want to help you get out of the struggle of scrambling to get home in time for dinner prep (hint, hint: it doesn’t need to be three hours before dinner time!). I don’t want you to feel anxious about parties and get-togethers because you have no idea if nap-time is long enough to make all those cute finger foods. And I definitely don’t want you to take away from precious mom-time for the sake of cooking! That’s why you can find a whole bunch of quick and easy foolproof family recipes here on Savory Nothings. Be it for a make-ahead breakfast, an easy dessert or a dinner that’s prepped in 10 minutes – they’re gathered right here in one place for you to browse. Of course, all recipes are tested and approved by me, my fancy-fancy-chef husband and my picky kids. Wait, did I say picky? I obviously meant wonderful.
still reading?You’re a champ. We were obviously meant to be virtual best friends, so here are a few special facts about me:
- I don’t have any formal culinary training but I just really love to cook, and I’ve been cooking for myself, for families as a nanny and for my own babies for over a decade.
- I usually test my recipes at least twice to make sure you will not end up getting mad at me because my cake destroyed your oven but please forgive me if it happens anyways. NO, don’t worry, it won’t happen.
- My favorite book of all times is Harry Potter. I pride myself in having read each and every one at least 10 times (not kidding). I also started reading them right as they came out, so I like to think of myself as a trendsetter (which, by the way, I’m decidedly not).
- As long as we’re confessing, I really love Twilight and all kinds of other teenage romance drama movies. Just one of my many flaws.
- I pretend to listen to cool British indie rock bands that don’t exist anymore. But really I’m just trying to cover up my obsession with Michael Bublé and Nursery Rhymes.
- I don’t do favorites, I’m simply too indecisive. Chocolate or vanilla? WHAT DO YOU MEAN “you can’t have both”?!