Hey you! Welcome to Savory Nothings, my little slice of the Internet – where I show the internet
my kitchen messes easy and tasty recipes your kids will love, that keep your wallet happy and make your noisy neighbor try and steal your kitchen secrets.
My name is Nora and first and foremost, I’m a mom to two little girls. I’m also married to a professional chef.
Which, when you think about it for a minute, makes life around the family table very hard sometimes:
- I have to please two picky little eaters, so my food needs to be kid-friendly
- I have to live up to the standards of a professional chef, so my meals need to be delicious
- I’m just a busy mom who’s trying to fit it all in, so my recipes need to be quick and easy
It’s a good thing I figured out how to cook in a way that satisfies all of those needs. But my life definitely wasn’t always like this!
Before I had a baby…
… I used to think that moms completely exaggerate when they talk about not finding the time to cook for their family.
I was convinced that I could just continue whipping up elaborate meals in my kitchen while my kids would happily sit there and watch me. (⬅︎ Are you laughing yet? Because I definitely am.)
Luckily, Baby Savory came along and taught me what it means to care for a tiny human 24/7.
Just picture this:
Me, standing there at 3 in the afternoon, still in my pyjamas, crying over a collapsed hundred-tiered cake because I was in a rush to go feed my little Tyrannosaurus baby.
Maybe I was even frustrated enough to eat that cake with a spoon while sobbing about being a failure, but that’s pure speculation.
I finally had to come to terms with the facts that a) Baby Savory wasn’t going to learn how to feed herself any time soon and b) we couldn’t live from burnt cake scraps and runny frosting forever.
But then I fell in love.
I started realizing that things like sheet pan dinners or simple pasta dishes can be even more delicious than a fancy three course meal, if only because they kept me sane enough so I could actually enjoy my meal, too.
about the blog
This blog was born out of a completely different reason, but as my life started to change with a new baby it has evolved into a passion to make the life of busy moms in the kitchen a whole lot easier.
I want to help you get out of the struggle of scrambling to get home in time for dinner prep (hint, hint: it doesn’t need to be three hours before dinner time!).
I don’t want you to feel anxious about parties and get-togethers because you have no idea if nap-time is long enough to make all those cute finger foods.
And I definitely don’t want you to take away from precious mom-time for the sake of cooking!
That’s why you can find a whole bunch of quick and easy foolproof family recipes here on Savory Nothings.
Of course, all recipes are tested and approved by me, my fancy-fancy-chef husband and my picky kids. Wait, did I say picky? I obviously meant wonderful.
You’re a champ. We were obviously meant to be virtual best friends, so here are a few special facts about me:
- I don’t have any formal culinary training but I just really love to cook, and I’ve been cooking for myself, for families as a nanny and for my own babies for over a decade.
- I usually test my recipes at least twice to make sure you will not end up getting mad at me because my cake destroyed your oven but please forgive me if it happens anyways. NO, don’t worry, it won’t happen.
- My favorite book of all times is Harry Potter. I pride myself in having read each and every one at least 10 times (not kidding). I also started reading them right as they came out, so I like to think of myself as a trendsetter (which, by the way, I’m decidedly not).
- As long as we’re confessing, I really love Twilight and all kinds of other teenage romance drama movies. Just one of my many flaws.
- I pretend to listen to cool British indie rock bands that don’t exist anymore. But really I’m just trying to cover up my obsession with Michael Bublé and Nursery Rhymes.
- I don’t do favorites, I’m simply too indecisive. Chocolate or vanilla? WHAT DO YOU MEAN “you can’t have both”?!
have any questions?
If your heart is exploding with questions or you just want to say hi – you can always eMail me.
I LOVE to hear from you! You can also join all the other quick meal lovers on the mailing list and receive my weekly newsletter – along with a super cool FREE eBook with all the best foolproof family recipes!
I try my hardest to reply to every eMail and comment but sometimes I
go out to party fall asleep on the sofa and miss something – please forgive my old mom brain!