Southwestern Crockpot Chicken Tacos are so easy to make, you’ll wonder why you haven’t been making them all along!
It will cook in your slow cooker all day long, then shred into tender Mexican chicken you can serve up with taco shells, guacamole and shredded cabbage.
Put it on your meal plan this week – you’ll thank me later.
Video Tutorial for Crockpot Chicken Tacos:
You know what’s really true about me? I love fresh food with simple flavors.
I used to think I needed to be so creative and out of the box with food, when I really just love my dinner like grandma used to make.
Mind you, my gran is Bavarian and has neither touched a crockpot nor a taco in her lifetime… But still, you get what I mean.
So there’s no crazy seventeen component coleslaw on my chicken tacos, and there’s also not a million individual spices. Just my homemade taco seasoning, please and thank you.
They turn out fabulous, in case you were wondering 😉
How To Make Chicken Tacos in the Crockpot:
Can you add raw chicken to the crockpot?
Yes, you can. Which comes in so handy, because you don’t have to pre-cook anything for this crockpot taco recipe!
(I do NOT recommend using frozen chicken in your crockpot though, even though some slow cooker manufacturers claim it’s safe!)
Even though I don’t like the name of them, this is a real “dump and go” slow cooker recipe:
- Add everything for the chicken to the crockpot
- Cook on low for 8 hours or on high for 4 hours
- Stuff into taco shells and top with whatever tickles your fancy
What is the best way to shred chicken breast?
I know there’s all sorts of fancy tutorials on how to shred chicken with a mixer, a food processor, a blender…
But I actually prefer to set cooked chicken breast on a large chopping board, then pull it apart with the help of two forks.
That way I get to control how shredded my chicken is (I prefer it shredded into chunks vs super stringy).
What goes well with chicken tacos?
We love serving these southwestern crockpot shredded chicken tacos with homemade guacamole, shredded cabbage and some shredded cheese.
An easy meal that always puts a smile on everyone’s face around the dinner table – winner, winner, chicken dinner, I guess.
Southwestern Crockpot Chicken Tacos
* These are affiliate links and I make a commission for purchases made after clicking through.
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning
- 1 8-oz jar salsa
- 1 15-oz can black beans rinsed and drained
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 onion coarsely chopped
- taco shells and toppings you like
- Place all ingredients EXCEPT for the taco shells and toppings in your crockpot. Stir, making sure there's some sauce underneath the chicken so it doesn't end up sticking to the bottom.
- Cook on LOW for 8 hours or on HIGH for 4 hours. Shred with a fork, then serve with taco shells and your favorite taco toppings.