Your family will love these healthy one pot chicken burrito bowls! They’re made with plenty of healthy vegetables, plus brown rice and kidney beans for extra fiber.
Watch the One Pot Chicken Burrito Bowls recipe video here:
These bowls only need 15 minutes of prep time and then simmer away on the stove, totally hands-off. Once the rice is cooked, you’ll have a flavourful, saucy dinner waiting for you.
Serve with lime wedges, avocado and cilantro for the ultimate Mexican dinner fiesta!
I’m quick to admit that it took me a LONG time to jump on the “bowl” bandwagon.
I’m definitely not an early adopter of new things. I’m more of a “new things are stupid” kind of person.
It took me years and years and years to buy an iPhone. I found skinny jeans AWFUL for much longer than I’d ever care to admit, because that’s what I wear every single day now.
And it took me a little while to admit that not all bowl food must be hip Instagram fare with seven-hundred ingredients. And that YES, it can even be tasty and easy and fun.
Take this burrito bowl, for example. Yep, burrito in a bowl. Fun, easy and definitely kid-friendly. Why would I keep resisting?!
The best part about this is that it’s 100% cooked in one pot. I love one pot meals.
A few tips for your one pot chicken burrito bowl adventures:
make it vegetarian
Just nix the chicken and double up the kidney beans. Easy!
I use a homemade Taco seasoning mix containing paprika instead of chili, because I have a two year old.
But you can use any kind of Mexican seasoning mix you like, really. And you can add as much or as little chili as you and your family like!
don’t skip the toppings
I know, sometimes it can feel like too much effort to even slice an avocado.
Especially with little kids at home, it’s easy to let routine take over our lives and forget to add some sparkle to our everyday.
But I promise, this will feel SO much more special with a little avocado, fresh cilantro, green onions and lime wedges on top. And it will feel great to have made the effort.
get the printable recipe for this one pot chicken burrito bowl:
One Pot Chicken Burrito Bowls
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 pound chicken breast diced
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 large red pepper diced
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1 can kidney beans
- 1 cup corn kernels
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1/2 cup finely shredded cheddar cheese
- avocado, cilantro, green onions and lime wedges to serve
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Brown the chicken for 3-4 minutes.
- Stir the onion, garlic and red pepper into the pot and cook it for 2 minutes.
- Add all remaining ingredients (except for the cheese and the toppings) to the pot. Bring the liquid to a boil. Cover the pot with the lid, reduce the heat to a simmer and leave the pot to cook gently for 25-30 minutes, or until the rice is done.
- Take the pot off the heat and top the rice with the cheese. Immediately serve with the toppings.