Your family will love these healthy one pot chicken burrito bowls! They’re made with plenty of healthy vegetables, plus brown rice and kidney beans for extra fiber. Just 15 minutes of prep time!
I used to love going out for Mexican food all the time… Then I had kids, ha! Now I love my dinners at home, cooked in one pot with easy ingredients and a quick prep time.
These chicken burrito bowls are cooked in one single pot for an extra simple family meal. The best way to do chicken and rice!
Ingredients you’ll need
- Chicken: I like this best with chicken breast meat, but you can also use diced skinless, boneless chicken thighs.
- Beans: I used red kidney beans, but you can also use black beans if that’s what you have on hand.
- Rice: Use parboiled brown rice here, otherwise the dish will take much longer to cook. You can also use white rice if you prefer. Either way, I recommend a long grain variety.
- Tomatoes: Feel free to use fire roasted tomatoes for more flavor.
Note about the seasoning: I always make my own to control the spiciness and ingredients. You can find my recipe for homemade taco seasoning here.
Step by step photos
This is an incredibly simple recipe! Here are the steps to make it in photos:
- Make it vegetarian: Just nix the chicken and double up the kidney beans. Easy!
- Add heat: I use my homemade Taco seasoning mix containing paprika instead of chili, because I have a bunch of little kids. But you can use any kind of Mexican seasoning mix you like, really. And you can add as much or as little chili powder as you and your family like!
One more note
I know, sometimes it can feel like too much effort to even slice an avocado – but I strongly recommend you add lots of toppings to your burrito bowls.
Especially with little kids at home, it’s easy to let routine take over our lives and forget to add some sparkle to our everyday.
But I promise, this will feel SO much more special with a little avocado, fresh cilantro, green onions and lime wedges on top. And it will feel great to have made the effort.
If you want to round out your meal (or just add some extra greens), either my Mexican Bean Salad or my Cucumber, Tomato and Avocado Salad are great side dishes for this. Or make a mango salsa (skip the beans in the salsa) or a pineapple salsa as your topping!
Watch the recipe video
More easy dinners
PS If you try this recipe, why not leave a star rating in the recipe card right below and/or a review in the comment section further down the page? I always appreciate your feedback! You can also follow me on Pinterest, Facebook or Instagram. Sign up for my email list, too!
One Pot Chicken Burrito Bowls
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound chicken breast diced
- 1 medium onion finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 large red pepper diced
- 1 cup parboiled brown rice uncooked; OR use white rice
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans
- 1 cup sweet corn kernels
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning
- 1/2 cup finely shredded cheddar cheese
- avocado, cilantro, green onions and lime wedges to serve
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Brown the chicken for 3-4 minutes.
- Stir the onion, garlic and red pepper into the pot and cook it for 2 minutes.
- Add all remaining ingredients (except for the cheese and the toppings) to the pot. Bring the liquid to a boil. Cover the pot with the lid, reduce the heat to a simmer and leave the pot to cook gently for 25-30 minutes, or until the rice is done.
- Take the pot off the heat and top the rice with the cheese. Immediately serve with the toppings.
More recipe information
I first published this recipe on 04/24/2017. I updated it on 05/25/2020 to make it more helpful to you.