- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 (1.5oz) package fajita seasoning (or use homemade recipe in notes below)
- 1 ½ pounds chicken breast (cut into strips)
- 4 large bell peppers (sliced (any color works))
- 2 onions (cut into thin wedges)
- fresh cilantro, lime juice, tortilla wraps, toppings (to taste)
- Season:Add everything EXCEPT for toppings to a large ziploc bag. Close top and shake well. Marinate in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Bake:Heat oven to 400F (200C). Spread chicken mixture on rimmed baking pan (can line with aluminum foil for easier clean up). Bake 15-20 Minutes, until chicken is cooked and vegetables are soft.
- Finish:Toss chicken and vegetables with lime juice and cilantro. Serve in warmed tortillas with favorite toppings.
Tips:I don’t mind using the marinade in the oven, as it cooks completely through. If you feel uncomfortable, feel free to remove the chicken and vegetables from the marinade, discard it, and then use a fresh package of Fajita seasoning and fresh olive oil on the chicken and veggies to bake. Feel free to add other vegetables you enjoy and that cook fairly quickly in the oven – zucchini, mushrooms or shaved corn would all work well.
Homemade fajita seasoning:
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ground black pepper, to taste
- Cayenne pepper, to taste
LeftoversLeftovers keep well covered in the fridge for up to 2 days.
We serve this buffet style – I’ll line up the chicken and veggie filling, warmed tortillas, shredded salad, guacamole, salsa, sour cream, cheese… Anything and everything 😉 on the kitchen counter and we all assemble our own dinner. Easier for me, and the kids think it’s the best dinner ever.
This is one of my favorite quick and easy meals to make, especially as we’re heading into summer and we’re less into soups and stews. I’ll often whip up a double batch while I’m at it, then stash half in the freezer. That way I can thank myself on a later, seriously busy day 😉