- nonstick cooking spray (OR oil)
- 4 chicken breasts (I used boneless, skinless and they weighed about 1 pound together)
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning
- 1 pepper (cored and diced (any color works; I used red))
- 1 (15-oz) can corn (drained)
- 1 (15-oz) can black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 (16-oz) jar salsa
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- Prep: Heat oven to 400°F. Grease a 7×11 inch baking dish or spray with nonstick cooking spray. Place the chicken in the prepared dish and rub all over with taco seasoning.
- Assemble: Evenly top chicken with diced pepper, drained corn and drain black beans. Spread salsa on top.
- Bake: Bake chicken in hot oven for 25 minutes. Carefully remove from the oven, top with cheese and return to oven for 5 minutes, or until cheese is bubbly and chicken is cooked through.
Step by Step Recipe Video
Ingredient Notes:Chicken: If you’d rather make this with chicken thighs, bake them for 35-40 minutes before topping with cheese. Corn: Frozen corn works in place of the canned. Salsa: I used Newman’s Own mild salsa (not an ad, it’s genuinely my favorite for meals with little kids). You can use pretty much any salsa you enjoy, though!
Cooking Tips:Make sure to spread the salsa well over the chicken, to make sure the chicken is evenly and closely covered.
Freezer Instructions:You can assemble this entire dish (without the cheese!), wrap it in foil and then in aluminum foil and freeze it for up to 3 months. Defrost in the fridge overnight, then bake as directed in the recipe.
Step by Step Photos:
Our favorite sides:
We often enjoy this chicken with a side of Mexican rice.