- 4×8 inch loaf pan
- 1 stick butter (softened)
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅔ cup heavy cream OR milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups white flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
For the chocolate batter:
- 4 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 – 2 tablespoons heavy cream OR milk
- Prep: Heat oven to 360°F and line a 4×8 inch loaf pan with nonstick baking parchment.
- Make cake batter: In a large mixing bowl, cream butter with an electric mixer until smooth, then add the eggs, sugar and salt and cream until light and fluffy. Beat in milk. Combine flour and baking powder in a separate bowl, then beat into egg mixture on low until smooth.
- Divide batter: Place half of the cake batter into the prepared pan. Beat cocoa powder and extra milk into remaining batter in the bowl. Spread batter on top of light batter in prepared pan, then carefully swirl together using a fork (don't swirl too much or you'll completely mix it – see video for my technique).
- Bake: Bake around 50-55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out just clean. Cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then lift out and place on a cooling rack to cool completely.