- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup onion (finely diced)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 ½ cups long-grain rice (uncooked)
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- 2 ¾ cups chicken broth
- ½ cup tomato sauce
- 1 (14-oz) can fire roasted tomatoes (drained)
- Optional: 1-3 seeded and minced jalapeño peppers and/or 2-3 tablespoons diced mild green chiles
- salt, pepper and red pepper flakes (to taste)
- Set a 6-quart electric pressure cooker to sauté.
- Add oil and onion. Cook, stirring often, for 2 to 3 minutes or until softened.
- Add garlic and uncooked rice. Stir until coated with oil, then stir in taco seasoning and tomato paste.
- Add broth, scraping any browned bits off the bottom of the pot (IMPORTANT or you may trigger the burn warning during pressure cooking!).
- Stir in tomato sauce and drained tomatoes (and jalapeño peppers/green chiles, if using).
- Close and lock lid. Set pressure valve to the "sealing" position. Choose "pressure cook" on high (or "manual" on high on older models) for 6-7 minutes (6 for rice that still has a bite, 7 for well done rice).
- Once time is up, open pressure cooker immediately using quick release method. Stir well before serving and adjust seasoning to taste.