- Measuring Jug
- Loaf Pan
- 1.5 cups mashed bananas (about 4 ripe medium-sized ones)
- ⅓ cup melted butter (OR oil)
- ½ cup honey
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 ¾ cups whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ – 1 cup chocolate chips
- Prep: Heat oven to 360°F. Line and grease a 4×8 OR 5×9 inch loaf pan.
- Make batter: Whisk together all wet ingredients in a large measuring jug. Combine all dry ingredients well in a large mixing bowl. Add the wet to the dry ingredients and fold JUST until combined (use a spatula or wooden spoon, NOT a whisk for combining the batter!). Fold in chocolate chips.
- Bake: Transfer batter to prepared pan. Bake in hot oven for 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out just clean. Cool in pan on a cooling rack for 10 minutes, then remove carefully, peel off baking parchment and cool completely on cooling rack.
- Please use very ripe bananas, they lend a lot of sweetness to the recipe.
- Use a neutral vegetable oil or melted coconut oil in place of the melted butter to make this dairy free
- You can use maple syrup in place of the honey
- The recipe works with regular flour in place of whole wheat; just add 1-2 extra tablespoons of the flour as whole wheat tends to soak up more of the liquid in a recipe.
- Readers have successfully made all of my banana bread recipes with cup-for-cup gluten free flour, so it’s definitely worth a try if you need it. Always make sure to check all ingredients for them to be certified gluten free.
- If you don’t have any cornstarch, use an extra 1-2 tablespoons of flour instead. The bread will be more dense.
- Baking powder can be used in place of the baking soda in this recipe.
- Spray the measuring cup with nonstick cooking spray before measuring out the honey – way easier to pour the honey out, and not so sticky!
- Please use a spatula when combining the wet and dry ingredients, and ONLY fold until JUST combined. Otherwise your bread will be dense.
- This recipe also works to make healthy banana muffins. Just divide between 12 lined and greased muffin cups and bake for around 18 minutes.
Add a Review or Ask a Question