Crispy Oven Fried Chicken Recipe
Everyone will love this crispy oven fried chicken recipe - it's so simple to make but so full of flavor! Serve it with the sides of your choice for a new family-favorite dinner!
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 25 minutes
Total Time 35 minutes
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup milk OR buttermilk
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons plain breadcrumbs Panko or Italian seasoned work as well
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 tablespoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast cut into strips (I do 3-4 per breast)
- 1/4 cup butter
Prep: Preheat the oven to 410°F (210°C). Place a dark-colored (or at the very least a silver metal) roasting pan (a rimmed baking sheet works as well) in the oven to heat up.
Prepare breading: In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg and the milk. In a separate bowl, mix the flour, breadcrumbs, baking powder and seasoning together.
Bread the chicken: Toss the chicken pieces in the flour, coating evenly and shaking off any extra flour. Next, toss the chicken pieces in the egg mixtures. Then, dip each into the flour mix again, this time coating very well - press the breading well on the chicken to make it stick.
Place chicken on pan: Take the baking pan out of the oven and melt the butter on it. Place the coated chicken pieces on the tray - leave enough space in between, I usually bake it in two batches.
Oven fry: Bake for 10-12 minutes, carefully flip and bake for another 5-10 minutes (depending on how thick your chicken pieces are). Finish by broiling the chicken until it turns golden brown and crispy.
- Important ingredient notes:
- I usually use chicken breast only because it’s easiest for me to make and everyone will eat it. You can use whatever pieces you want, though – many readers have successfully made it with thighs and drumsticks.
- I reduced the salt by half from a previous version because some people felt it was too salty; if you've made this before and the saltiness was right for you, feel free to increase.
- If you want to add some heat, try using some cayenne pepper or chili powder.
- Use a dark pan: A dark pan reflect the heat best, which results in the crispiest chicken. A silver pan is acceptable and yields good results, too.
- Use kitchen tongs: Using kitchen tongs to toss the chicken, and then coat it with the breading, is the easiest way to keep the mess to a minimum.
- Flip it VERY carefully: Use a spatula to slide underneath the chicken and very gently release the chicken from the pan before flipping/serving. If you just rip it off with tongs etc, the breading will fall off.
- Let the chicken rest for 3-4 minutes before serving, but don't let it sit around for longer than that for best results.
Calories: 367kcal | Carbohydrates: 23g | Protein: 37g | Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 146mg | Sodium: 891mg | Potassium: 711mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 672IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 73mg | Iron: 2mg