Healthy Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese with Bacon
This is a wonderful fall flavored and Healthy Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese recipe - complete with bacon!
Prep Time 30 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
Total Time 1 hour
- 2 slices of bacon chopped
- 1/2 cup fat-free low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Black pepper optional
- 1 3/4 cups peeled and cubed butternut squash packed
- 8 oz uncooked wholewheat pasta shapes
- 2 tablespoons plain low-fat Greek yogurt
- 1 cup shredded Mozzarella
- 1/2 cup shredded mild cheddar sharp cheddar or Gruyère cheese
- 2/3 cup frozen peas
- 3 tablespoons breadcrumbs
- chopped parsley to serve (optional)
Preheat oven to 375°F.
Fry the bacon in a large pot over medium-high heat until crispy. Remove and set aside, leaving as much of the fat in the pan as you’d like (it’s calories and fat, but also flavor).
Combine broth, milk, and spices in a large pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and add the squash, simmering until it’s tender (about 15 minutes).
In the meantime, prepare the pasta according to package directions. Drain well.
When the squash is tender, place it together with all the cooking liquid into a blender and blend until smooth (careful: hot!). Add the yogurt and blend until combined. Pour into a large bowl and combine with the mozzarella and 1/3 cup cheddar cheese. Toss with the pasta, the set-aside bacon and the frozen peas until evenly coated.
Lightly grease a 7x11 inch baking dish. Pour the pasta mix in and evenly sprinkle with the breadcrumbs and remaining cheese.
Bake at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until the sauce is bubbly and the top golden brown. Sprinkle with parsley, if using, and serve immediately.