How To Cook Fresh Green Beans
Wondering how to cook fresh green beans so they actually taste nice? Try these tips and tricks for the perfect side dish every time!
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 15 minutes
Total Time 30 minutes
Servings 4 people
- 1 pound fresh green beans trimmed (see post for tips)
- oil olive or coconut are my favorite choices
- 1-2 aromatics see below for inspiration
- 1-2 tastemakers see below for inspiration
Cook the beans: Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Season well with salt. Cook the beans for 5 minutes, then start checking them for done-ness. They should be tender but still crisp, without squeaking between your teeth when you chew them.
Drain and chill: Drain the beans, then immediately rinse under cold water to stop the cooking process.
Sauté with aromatics: Place the oil in the pot and heat over medium heat. Add your aromatics and sauté until fragrant and softened. Add the green beans and sauté just until heated.
Add some extra taste: Stir in tastemakers like browned butter and mustard, sprinkle on toppings like chopped nuts. Serve right away for maxed out taste!
Some of my favorite combos:
- Oil: olive // aromatics: sliced shallot // tastemakers: browned butter and slivered almonds
- Oil: olive // aromatics: chopped onion and garlic // tastemakers: mustard (both whole grain or regular Dijon are nice)
- Oil: olive // aromatics: chopped onion and garlic // tastemakers: Harissa, pomegranate and Feta cheese
- Oil: coconut // aromatics: chopped garlic and ginger // tastemakers: Sriracha and roasted chopped peanuts
- Oil: coconut // aromatics: red curry paste and chopped onion // tastemakers: fresh cilantro and sliced chili