Homemade Hot Chocolate
Homemade hot chocolate is a delicious and decadent drink for the holiday season. Make it for Christmas morning brunch!
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 5 minutes
Total Time 10 minutes
Servings 2 cups
- 2 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon fine caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom optional
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cacao powder
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 ounces dark chocolate roughly chopped
- 1 ounces milk or white chocolate roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons cream optional
- Your favourite toppings: Chocolate shavings whipped cream, marshmallows...
Warm the milk: Mix the milk, sugar, vanilla extract and spices in a medium saucepan. Gently warm over medium heat until steaming and hot all the way through.
Thicken the liquid: Add the cacao powder and cornstarch to a small bowl and add a splash of cold milk. Mix very well, then pour into the saucepan and simmer, whisking well, for 3-4 minutes or until thickened.
Melt in the chocolate: Take the pan off the heat and add the chocolate and cream. Let it melt, stir until well combined and serve hot with your favourite toppings.