Strawberry Cream Cheese Stuffed French Toast
Looking for a simple but special brunch dish? Whip up some Strawberry Cream Cheese Stuffed French Toast for the ultimate breakfast favorite!
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 15 minutes
Total Time 30 minutes
- 4 heaping tablespoons cream cheese use low fat if desired
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup OR honey OR powdered sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 4 tablespoons bread crumbs divided
- 2 tablespoons sugar divided
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon divided
- 8 strawberries hulled and sliced
- 8 slices stale bread challah, brioche or thick whole wheat toast all work!
- 4 teaspoons oil OR butter divided
- additional strawberries and syrup (optional) for serving
Prep: To make the filling mix, the cream cheese with your choice of sweetener and set aside. In a shallow dish, whisk the eggs and milk together. On a large plate, combine 2 tablespoons bread crumbs, 1 tablespoon sugar and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon.
Assemble French Toast: Spread a slice of bread with 1/4 of the cream cheese mixture. Top with two sliced strawberries and cover with a second slice of bread. Coat first with the egg mixture and then with bread crumbs.
Cook: Heat 1 teaspoon oil OR butter in a large non-stick frying pan. Fry over medium-high heat until golden brown and crunchy, gently pushing down on the edges of the bread to sea (NOT the middle, or you'll squish it!)l.
Finish: Continue the same way with the other six bread slices. Halfway through wipe the plate with the breadcrumb mixture clean and mix the rest of the bread crumbs, sugar and cinnamon for making the other two French Toasts.
Serve warm with additional strawberries and syrup, if you like.
Calories: 358kcal | Carbohydrates: 47g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 98mg | Sodium: 448mg | Potassium: 241mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 15g | Vitamin A: 6.8% | Vitamin C: 17.1% | Calcium: 15.5% | Iron: 16.6%