This Healthy Cream Cheese Strawberry Stuffed French Toast is the easy Sunday family breakfast recipe we keep coming back to!
It is homemade with whole wheat bread, low fat cream cheese, strawberry slices and maple syrup. The crunchy cinnamon coating makes it the perfect simple brunch sandwich for kids.
We especially love how fluffy it turns out while still counting as a healthy option – the best of both worlds!
This stuffed french toast recipe, I swear. It will make you happy. You might be asking yourself – how in the world will this Skinny Crunchy Stuffed French Toast make me happy?
I mean, a French toast recipe? Breakfast? Really?
But you know the saying, don’t you?
The one thing your mom kept telling you when you wouldn’t get out of bed in the morning.
What you know deep down when you’re
stuffing your face elegantly nibbling some chocolate at 11am.
Breakfast is the most important meal of the day.
I have to confess – I wasn’t always a dedicated breakfast eater. I’m certainly not a morning person, or at least I wasn’t before becoming a mom myself.
Ever since it has been kind of impossible to ditch breakfast. So when I don’t have any time at all, I pick something easy like this Streusel Topped Blueberry French Toast Casserole.
But when I don’t want to share with anyone, then I like this Skinny Crunchy Stuffed French Toast to make Sunday brunch really delicious.
Full of cream cheese and fresh strawberries and coated in crusty-crunchy cinnamon sugar goodness, this Healthy Cream Cheese Strawberry Stuffed French Toast will indeed leave you with a happy, happy feeling.
This is a fast recipe so you truly can have it all here with this yummy breakfast and brunch dish.
Here are my favorite tips on how to make strawberry stuffed french toast so it always turns out:
Use a really good pan
You want to use a really good pan like this one*, or all that yummy crust is going to stick to the bottom and give you tears.
I don’t often cook with non-stick pans, but whenever I make something that’s prone to sticking and burning I do get mine out.
Get as much filling in there as you can, but don’t overdo it!
Otherwise all the cream cheese filling will leak out and burn and turn your strawberry stuffed french toast into a soggy mess.
Make sure you have some counter space available
OK, I know this sounds like a weird tip. But just think about it:
You need a plate for the egg and milk mixture. You need a plate for the crunchy coating. And you need somewhere to spread the filling and put the strawberries on the bread.
The recipe is fairly quick and easy, but it’s definitely much easier if you have a little free counter space available!
Watch the strawberry stuffed french toast recipe video:
Get the printable recipe for this Healthy Cream Cheese Strawberry Stuffed French Toast:
- 4 tablespoons low fat cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup or honey
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 4 tablespoons whole grain bread crumbs, divided
- 1 tablespoon sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon, divided
- 8 strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 8 slices whole wheat bread
- 2 teaspoons oil, divided
- To make the filling mix the cream cheese with the honey and set aside.
- In a shallow dish whisk the eggs and milk together.
- On a large plate combine 2 tablespoons bread crumbs, 1/2 tablespoon sugar and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon.
- Heat 1/2 teaspoon oil in a large non-stick frying pan. To assemble the French Toast, spread a slice of bread with 1/4 of the cream cheese mixture. Top with two sliced strawberries and cover with a second slice of bread. Coat first with the egg mixture and then with bread crumbs. Fry over medium-high heat until golden brown and crunchy, gently pushing down on the edges of the bread to seal.
- Continue the same way with the other six bread slices. Halfway through wipe the plate with the coating mixture clean and mix the rest of the bread crumbs, sugar and cinnamon for making the other two French Toasts.
- Serve warm with additional strawberries.
Nutrition (this is an estimate)
* I make a commission for purchases made through these links.