Guys, these Waffled Churro French Toast Sticks are big. Major life changing kind of big.
OK, I’m exaggerating. But it’s at least like Birthday and Christmas together, with a dip of Thanksgiving.
Seriously though, this is the most awesome thing you can make for your next breakfast or brunch.
Who even said it’s OK to have finger food for breakfast? Whoever you are, you’re a genius and I’m devoting this blog post to you.
Totally unrelated but geez, what’s up with Grey’s Anatomy?
Confession: I have never watched this show regularly (I was more of a HIMYM kind of gal) but even I had to shed a tear when I read about it. Major sads.
OK, wipe away your tears with me, I need to talk about these Waffled Churro French Toast Sticks with Awesome Dip ASAP. See, I am usually all over brunch. Like hands off you thief, that’s my pancakes/waffles/French toast/bacon.
But with a baby? This girl right here is NOT going to stand in the kitchen at 7am to whip up a brunch collection. And going out isn’t really an option around here either, because brunch? Ugh.
Brani didn’t believe this at all but Swiss people totally think brunch means serving a bit of cheese and a hard boiled egg along with bread and butter. You’re lucky if there’s orange juice. Not fun.
So I came up with these Waffled Churro French Toast Sticks that are so easy to get together
my baby a reasonably aged child could make them.
Basically what you’re going to do is cut some bread into strips and soak them in an egg and milk mixture.
Coat the whole thing with bread crumbs and waffle away.
For The Amazing Churro Effect, drag the hot and sizzling waffle sticks through a cinnamon sugar mixture, then dip into the cream cheese awesomeness of your dreams.
Oh wait, like Birthday and Christmas together?
What was I thinking – they’re Waffled Churro French Toast Sticks after all.
Cinco de Mayo and Mother’s Day of course!
Waffled Churro French Toast Sticks
- 1/2 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1/3 cup sugar 75g
- 8 slices bread
- 2 extra-large eggs
- 1/2 cup milk PLUS a few tablespoons extra, 120ml
- 3/4 cup breadcrumbs 70g
- Oil for the waffle iron
- 1/2 cup cream cheese 115g
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- Preheat your waffle iron on a medium-high setting. Mix the cinnamon and sugar in a shallow bowl.
- Cut the bread into even sticks, about 1 inch wide. In a shallow dish, whisk together the eggs and milk. Soak two bread pieces (or as many as will fit into your waffle maker) in the milk mixture, then coat in breadcrumbs. Lightly grease both sides of the waffle iron and add the French toast pieces, careful to avoid them touching each other. Cook until browned and crispy but not dried out, approximately 3-4 minutes.
- When the pieces are done, immediately dredge them through the cinnamon and sugar mixture and sprinkle it all over the waffle indents as well. Set aside.
- Proceed with the remaining bread pieces the same way.
- To make the dip, mix the cream cheese with the maple syrup and enough milk to give it a creamy but not liquid consistency. Serve along with the Waffled Churro French Toast Sticks.