These Healthy Chocolate Chip Banana Waffles are made with 100% whole wheat flour and mashed bananas. The dark chocolate chunks turn them into an extra-special breakfast treat!
Waffles – who doesn’t love waffles?!
Everyone loves waffles. Settled it is.
Speaking of waffles – I know you really love my Pumpkin Waffles. But pumpkin in April? Eh, a little strange.
Oh, and the Banana Oatmeal Waffles.
You know, the only logical next step really was to create a recipe combining waffles AND bananas AND chocolate.
So, here you go: Healthy Chocolate Chip Banana Waffles ?
While I was making and photographing this recipe to post on the blog, I had to think of a silly TV show nobody but myself probably even remembers.
I am, of course, talking about Two and a Half Men.
I admittedly like it, I secretly love it, and I cannot get Charlie Sheen as Charlie Waffles out of my head, like, ever.
But, as they rightfully say in the episode: Everybody loves waffles.
These are made with whole wheat flour, a little brown sugar (or raw sugar, if you’re feeling so inclined), a couple tablespoons of oil, mashed banana and a pinch of nutmeg.
There’s really nothing hard about them, all you have to pay attention to is not over-mixing the wet and dry ingredients. A few lumps in the batter are REALLY fine, I promise, much better than ending up with dense and rubbery waffles.
We make these all the time, but for the blog I wanted to spice them up a little bit.
If you can call adding chocolate “spicing it up”?
Well, in my opinion you can, because chocolate is almost as good as waffles are.
Don’t argue with me here, they didn’t call him “Charlie Chocolate” after all.
Though it IS “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory”, so maybe I should just be quiet now and hand over the recipe for these beautiful brunch-babies, right? ?
Here’s the printable recipe for these Healthy Chocolate Chip Banana Waffles:
Healthy Chocolate Chip Banana Waffles
* These are affiliate links and I make a commission for purchases made after clicking through.
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons raw sugar or light brown
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 1/3 cups milk
- 1 large banana mashed
- 2 tbsp honey
- 3 tbsp oil or melted butter
- 2 large eggs
- 2 oz chopped dark chocolate
- Heat your waffle iron on medium-high.
- Whisk together all dry ingredients in a medium bowl.
- Stir together all wet ingredients in a separate bowl, making sure they are well-mixed.
- Fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, taking care not to overmix. Fold in the chocolate chunks.
- Lightly grease your waffle iron and bake the waffles according to your waffle iron’s instructions.
Nutrition (this is an estimate)