Pork Chops with Apples and Onions
This simple maple apple pork chops skillet is a great weeknight dinner that’s ready in just 30 minutes. The chops are smothered in the most delicious sauce!
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time30 mins
Servings: 4 people
- 4 bone-in pork chops
- salt & black pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 medium onion cut into wedges
- 2 medium apples cored and cut into slices
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 cup white wine OR more chicken broth
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon mustard whole grain preferred
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup or adjust to taste
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch (or adjust amount to taste) mixed with 2-3 tablespoon cold water to make a slurry
- 1 tablespoon butter optional to make the gravy more decadent
Brown pork: Season pork with salt and pepper on both sides. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chops to the hot pan and cook until browned on either side. Remove chops from the pan and cover them with foil.
Sauté onion and apples: Add onion and apples to hot skillet and sauté over medium heat until softened and starting to brown. Season with dried herbs and salt and pepper. Deglaze pan with wine, scraping any browned bits off the bottom.
Make gravy: Add chicken broth, vinegar, mustard and maple syrup to the pan. Bring to a boil, then stir in cornstarch slurry. Simmer for one minute.
Finish: Add pork chops back to the skillet and finish cooking until pork chops are done and gravy has thickened. If desired, stir butter into gravy before serving.
Calories: 376kcal | Carbohydrates: 25g | Protein: 30g | Fat: 16g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 97mg | Sodium: 351mg | Potassium: 717mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 17g | Vitamin A: 137IU | Vitamin C: 10mg | Calcium: 40mg | Iron: 1mg