If you’re a chocolate lover, you’ll adore this easy chocolate frosting – made the cheat’s way!
Rich, creamy and decadent-tasting, this is absolutely FOOLPROOF and made with just 2 ingredients: Cream and chocolate. The ultimate emergency frosting recipe!
This is a recipe born out of sheer desperation. When my nephew turned 12 last fall, I promised to make a cake.
I made one. The morning of his party, because there’s no rest for the wicked (or for the parents with bad sleepers – same thing, really). It was a really light and fluffy yellow sheet cake, but it looked so naked and lonely.
Only problem was… I had NO butter. NO powdered sugar. NO cocoa powder. Which is what usually goes into a chocolate buttercream frosting… And I couldn’t let the poor boy have a naked sheet cake for his birthday, could I?
So I took a chance and grabbed the cream and all the scraps from leftover chocolate bars (ahem, not leftover from stuffing my face with it… I use them to make chocolate chunks for oatmeal cookies!!).
And, amazingly, my 2 ingredient cheat’s chocolate frosting turned out an absolute shortcut miracle!
I’ll have to make a confession right here: Yes, I love eating good food.
But, uh, I’m also an ultra lazy person, and if there’s an easier way to make something delicious… I’ll take it.
No other chocolate frosting has passed my lips ever since discovering this 2-ingredient revelation.
Some people claim they’ve seen me eat this with a spoon, passing it off as chocolate mousse… But I’m refusing an official statement.
Now as for how to actually make it? Couldn’t be easier:
How to make easy chocolate frosting:
- Bring the cream just before boiling point, then take it off the heat
- Whisk in chopped chocolate (ANY chocolate works!) until it’s completely melted
- Beat with a handheld mixer until thickened (this takes literally 10 seconds)
- Leave to stand at room temperature for 10 minutes to make it more spreadable
- Decorate your cake or whatever
- Lick the bowl (mandatory)
And the best part? This is one recipe on the internet that keeps its promises: It is actually made with two ingredients.
I mean, unless you count every single ingredient in the chocolate… In which case, I take back my previous statement. But really – would you make your own chocolate bar?? My point exactly.
There are times I resent desperation… And there are times I welcome it with open arms. The desperation over a 12-year-old’s birthday cake seems to fall into the latter of said categories.
Now if every moment of desperation could end in a pile of fluffy chocolate frosting… The world would be a better place ?
– Nora x
Watch how to make it:
Get the printable recipe for this easy chocolate frosting:
Easy Chocolate Frostingmade it? tap the stars to add your rating!
- 1 1/4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 7 ounces semi-sweet chocolate (broken into pieces (if not using melting chocolate chips) (see note 1))
- Heat the cream: Pour the heavy whipping cream into a medium saucepan and heat it over medium-high heat just before it reaches boiling point. Take off the heat.
- Melt in the chocolate: Add the chocolate to the hot cream and whisk until it has melted and is fully incorporated. Make sure there's no chocolate sticking to the bottom of the saucepan!
- Chill: Chill the mix until it reaches fridge temperature. (see note 2)
- Whip: Once the mix is chilled, beat it with a handheld mixer until it's thick and fluffy - this will only take about 10 seconds! Then use it to decorate your cakes or cupcakes. (see note 3)
More recipe information:
Gogogo, make it! And then come back and let me know what you think in the comments – P.S: Adding a star rating is just one extra click ?