- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 pound ground turkey
- salt (pepper, ground paprika to taste)
- 1 yellow onion (chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 green pepper (chopped)
- 1 15-oz can petite diced tomatoes
- 1 6-oz can tomato paste
- 1-2 cups tomato juice (use 1 cup for a very thick chili, 2 cups for more sauce)
- 1 15oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15oz can chili beans, not drained
- 2 tablespoons chili powder (use ground paprika for a mild version)
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Optional: hot sauce and/or cayenne pepper for more heat
- your favorite chili toppings! we like sour cream, shredded cheese, avocado, corn chips…
- Add olive oil to a skillet over medium heat, add turkey, salt, pepper and ground paprika. Cook until starting to brown, then add onion and garlic and cook for another 3-4 minutes.
- Add onion mixture and remaining ingredients to a 5 quart slow cooker; stir to combine. Cover and cook on LOW setting for 6 to 8 hours.
Ingredient Notes:Turkey: You can also use leftover shredded turkey in place of the ground turkey. Just brown the onion and garlic alone, then combine everything in the crockpot as directed in the recipe. Green pepper: If you’re not a fan of green pepper, feel free to use a red pepper instead. Corn is also delicious in this chili. Beans: Feel free to use a different kind of beans. I just really love black beans in chili, but kidney beans or navy beans would work just as well. If you want to skip the chili beans, try adding 1/4 – 1/2 cup extra juice if the turkey seems too thick. Seasoning: You can use 1 packet of chili seasoning in place of the individual spices and herbs called for.
Cooking Tips:Stovetop version: Brown the turkey in a large Dutch oven/stockpot. Add all ingredients to the pot, stir well, cover with a lid and simmer over low heat for 1-2 hours, stirring from time to time. Oven version: Brown the turkey in a large Dutch oven. Add all ingredients to the pot, stir well, cover with the lid and place in the oven at 350°F for 1-2 hours, stirring occasionally.
Freezer Instructions:This is a great freezer meal! Let the browned turkey/onion cool to room temperature, then transfer to a very large freezer bag with all the other ingredients EXCEPT for the tomato juice (I find that just gets too messy). Label with the name and use-by date (freeze for up to 3 months) and the following instructions:
- Thaw in the fridge overnight
- Place in crockpot with 1-2 cups tomato juice, stir well
- Cook on LOW for 6-8 hours
- Serve with tortilla chips, avocado, shredded cheese, sour cream… (write your favorite toppings here; seems ridiculous but I find it helps me so much with being organized about the freezer meal when it comes to thawing/eating!)