This is the best recipe for homemade Healthy Slow Cooker Chili! It’s quick, easy and simple to prepare because it’s cooked in a crockpot. This is amazing to serve on gameday or take it with you when you go tailgating!
Chili is one of my favorite dinners to make during the fall and winter months (right alongside crockpot meatballs, oven fried chicken and meatloaf). This slow cooker version is creamy and dreamy, but made a little lighter and healthier than traditional recipes.
About the equipment needed
A 4-6 quart slow cooker will do a great job for this recipe.
If you don’t have the time to wait for 4-8 hours, or you don’t own a slow cooker, you can also make this in a Dutch oven: Simply combine all ingredients in a large Dutch oven and simmer covered over low to medium-low heat for an hour or two.
A good knife
Whenever I need to make a quick job of chopping up veggies I use my large chef’s knife. I used to be afraid of sharp knives and only owned a tiny, dull one. But it takes ages longer to get produce cut, so I’m always happy I can do everything faster when I’m pressed for time!
I have one similar to this one* from Amazon and it’s worth the investment so much – we’ve had our set of five good knives for years now (and we use them plenty!) and it’s definitely been paid off in the long run.
- Beef: I make this with diced and ground beef for more flavor and texture. I have tried it with ground beef only as well. I do like it better with the diced beef added, but if all you have is ground it works just as well to use 1 pound of ground beef.
- Beans: It’s not crucial to add the blended kidney beans, but it does make for a thicker and almost creamy chili without adding any cream or cheese at all – so I’m a huge fan of that!
- Tomatoes: Feel free to use fire roasted for more flavor!
More slow cooker comfort
PS If you try this recipe, why not leave a star rating in the recipe card right below and/or a review in the comment section further down the page? I always appreciate your feedback! You can also follow me on Pinterest, Facebook or Instagram. Sign up for my email list, too!
Healthy Slow Cooker Chili
- 1 teaspoon oil
- ½ pound lean beef cubed
- ½ pound lean ground beef
- 2 large onions chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 1 green bell pepper chopped
- 1 (14.5 oz) can chili beans
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- ½ cup water
- 1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground oregano
- 1 tablespoons chili powder or more to taste
- 1 (14.5 oz) can kidney beans blended
- ½ cup corn kernels
- all your favorite chili toppings
- Heat a nonstick skillet over high heat. Add the oil and brown both meats. Add the onions and garlic and continue cooking for another 3-5 minutes or until the onions turn translucent.
- Transfer to a 3.5 quart slow cooker and add all the other ingredients except for the puréed beans and corn kernels. Cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 8 hours.
- minutes before the cooking time is over, add the puréed beans and the corn kernels. Stir well, taste for additional seasoning and finish cooking.
- Serve warm with all your favorite chili toppings!
This recipe can easily be doubled to feed a crowd, simply adjust the size of your slow cooker accordingly.
More recipe information
* I make a commission for purchases made through these links.