Do you love the old fashioned classic family dinner, Irish Beef Stew? This version is easy to make in your slow cooker!
The simple ingredients include meat, plenty of healthy vegetables and potatoes. It’s one of my kid’s favorite homemade comfort foods and I love how simple it is to put together!
Get your crockpot out and serve this homemade dinner with your best recipe for traditional soda bread tonight!
I’ve been on a stew kick lately! Especially stews made in slow cookers.
Slow cooker stews are the best:
And, of course, this Irish Beef Stew!
I believe we all need to have this warming comfort food for those cold winter days and for just whenever we need a pick-me-up!
This is maybe a bit more involved for a slow cooker recipe, because it calls for the meat and part of the vegetables to be browned before adding them to the crock pot.
Don’t worry, if you’re short on time you can absolute skip the browning and just heat up your broth! The stew will still taste absolutely delicious.
But if you do have 30 minutes to prep this meal, you will be rewarded with even more flavors.
When I made this for us last week, my hubs and I both ate a huge bowl full.
Em preferred to pick out the carrots and eat the sauce. To each their own 😉
Here’s the printable recipe for this simple irish beef stew:
Slow Cooker Irish Beef Stew Recipe
- 1 pound carrots peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 pound waxy potatoes peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 pound floury potatoes peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 pound beef stewing meat
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1 large celery stalk chopped
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1 sprig of thyme
- Salt & black pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch stirred into a little bit of cold water to make a slurry
- Place the carrots and potatoes in a 4-6 quart slow cooker.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet. Add the meat and sprinkle it with the flour. Brown on all sides, then transfer to the slow cooker on top of the vegetables.
- Add the onion and celery to the skillet and fry over medium heat until softened. Pour in the beef broth and add the thyme sprig. Bring to a boil and simmer for two minutes. Taste test and add salt and pepper to your liking.
- Pour the hot broth over the contents of the slow cooker. Cover and cook on LOW for 8-10 hours or on HIGH for 4-5 hours.
- Minutes before serving, stir in the cornstarch slurry and finish cooking.
- Serve hot with a big hunk of Irish soda bread!
Nutrition (this is an estimate)
P.S: For more stew recipes, check out our collection of homemade beef stew recipes!