Dutch Honey Breakfast Cake Recipe
- 2 cups rye flour
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 2/3 cups brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon anise
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 3/4 cups milk plus extra for brushing
- Preheat the oven to 350°C. Line a 9x5 inch loaf pan with parchment paper.
- Add all dry ingredients to a large bowl.
- Place wet ingredients in a small saucepan and gently warm over medium heat. Add to the dry ingredients and mix using a rubber spatula until a sticky batter forms.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and flatten the surface. Lightly brush the top with milk.
- Bake for 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool in the pan and serve warm or cold with butter.