This homemade BBQ rub is the best sweet, smokey and savory seasoning for chicken or pork. It’s quick and easy to put together with ingredients you probably already have in your pantry right now!
I love making my own spice mixes: It’s easy and I know exactly what went into them! Also, they always make for an adorable hostess gift, or a budget friendly baby shower, bridal shower or wedding favor.
This BBQ rub
- is sweet, smokey and perfectly spiced
- comes together in just a few minutes
- tastes amazing on BBQ chicken, pulled pork or any other recipe you would use store-bought BBQ rub on!
Ingredients you’ll need
Here is a visual overview of the ingredients in the recipe. Scroll down to the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post for quantities!
How to make your own BBQ rub
This recipe is too easy: Just add all the spices, salt and brown sugar to a large dish and combine. I recommend using a dish you can comfortably stir the spices in, or it will get messy.
Then, store the rub in a tightly sealed jar. If you want to give it away as a gift, it’s very pretty in a glass jar with craft string tied around it and a cute small spoon tucked in. The spice mix fits great into two 4-oz jam jars, so scale accordingly if you need to make more.
As long as you keep the rub dry and always replace the lid immediately after using some, you can keep it for around a year in the cupboard.
Sometimes it can start clumping together, especially when using organic spices without any anti-caking ingredients. If it’s otherwise looking and smelling fine, it’s still good to use. Just break it up with a spoon.
More homemade spice mixes
PS If you try this recipe, please leave a review in the comment section and add a star rating in the recipe card – I appreciate your feedback! Follow along on Pinterest, Facebook or Instagram. Sign up for my email list, too!
Homemade BBQ Rub
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons ground paprika
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- ½ tablespoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Combine all ingredients well. Store in an airtight jar in the cupboard.