Honey Butter Mashed Sweet Potatoes are an easy and delicious side dish for Thanksgiving, Christmas or whenever you crave a hearty, healthy veggie addition at dinner. Ready in less than 30 minutes and full of delicious flavors, this is sure tobe a hit on the holiday table.
I’m not going to lie, I love a good mashed potato with lots of milk and butter and possibly also sour cream.
But then again, I’m all about the sweet potatoes for Thanksgiving and Christmas, too.
To be honest though, I often struggle with side dishes when I have a square meal situation going on.
I’ll overthink it, I’ll get lost in options… And then I’ll end up making rice or mashed potatoes anyways, oops (or did you thinkable those meal ideas are just there for you? They’re for me, too 😉 )
But lately, mashed sweet potatoes have been a great way to switch up my stand-by mashed potato recipe.
Boiling sweet potatoes is so incredibly quick, and I mash them right in the pot with the butter and honey. As you know, I’m always in favor of less dishes.
I do not think it’s a great idea to replace all of your mashed potato cravings with mashed sweet potatoes – because that creamy, dairy-laden white mash is way too good to ever deny yourself.
But I do actually like to get a wide variety of food in my diet, so this recipe is here to help us all do just that.
Great things about these Honey Butter Mashed Sweet Potatoes:
- Season to taste: If you think adding some chopped parsley or some rosemary and thyme would be a great idea (it actually is), go for it! Or some parmesan. Use maple syrup instead of honey. All your call.
- Quick to make: Cut up sweet potatoes boil incredibly fast, and all that’s left to do once3 they are tender is adding butter, honey and seasoning and mash.
- No space on the stove during a big holiday cooking session? No problem! Just microwave the sweet potatoes like shown here, then scoop the flesh into a bowl and add seasoning, honey and butter to mash.
How to make Honey Butter Mashed Sweet Potatoes:
So, so easy!
Just peel and cube the sweet potatoes and boil until fork-tender.
Then drain them, steam off excess liquid and mash right in the pot with butter, honey, salt, pepper, nutmeg… Whatever seasoning your heart desires!
And done 🙂
Get the printable recipe here:
Honey Butter Mashed Sweet Potatoesmade it? tap the stars to add your rating!
- 1.5 pounds sweet potatoes (peeled and cubed)
- 1 sprig rosemary (optional)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1-2 tablespoons honey
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Black pepper (to taste)
- Boil sweet potatoes: Place sweet potatoes in a medium pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil, add salt and simmer until fork-tender, about 8-10 minutes. If you like, add a sprig of rosemary to the water for the last 2 minutes (you can leave it in longer, but I find the taste gets too strong).
- Drain and steam: Drain the potatoes well, then put them back into the pot over the lowest heat setting. Cook until they look dry, stirring constantly, to steam off any excess water.
- Mash: Add butter, honey, salt, nutmeg and pepper and mash. Check for seasoning, then serve hot.