How to make an incredible snack or last minute gift in under 60 minutes? You have come to the right place: Give this Orange and Sea Salt Dark Chocolate Covered Almonds recipe a try!
People will think you’re such a foodie and oh-so-fancy when you pass them some of these chocolate covered almonds.
For good measure, don’t call them chocolate covered almonds but Almond Rochers because that sounds so posh. And will probably do away with the fact that there’s chocolatey toddler fingerprints all over the bag.
P.S: If you want to make these for young kids, please take into consideration that there’s a large amount of salt in the recipe. Make them without the salt for children, even if you lose the fancy-factor. And don’t feed them to very young ones as the slivered nuts are not safe to be consumed by them.
More homemade candy
Orange and Sea Salt Dark Chocolate Covered Almonds
- 5 ounces slivered almonds
- 1 large orange finely grated zest only; use 2 oranges for intense orange flavor
- 1 teaspoon flakey sea salt plus extra for sprinkling (optional)
- 3 ounces dark chocolate
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Place the almonds in a large skillet over medium-high heat and toast them until they’re staring to brown. Mix with the orange zest and sea salt and set aside to cool to room temperature.
- In the meantime, bring a medium pot of water to a boil, then reduce to a slight simmer. Break the chocolate into pieces and place them into a metal bowl. Place this metal bowl on top of the simmering pot (the water doesn’t have to touch the bowl and there should be absolutely no leakage!) and store the chocolate until melted. This is called a bain-marie and a good method to prevent the chocolate from getting too hot.
- Once the chocolate is melted, quickly stir in the cooled almond mixture until everything is evenly covered. With the help of two teaspoons, scoop out the mixture and drop them into small piles on the prepared cookie sheet. Allow the chocolate to cool and harden completely before peeling off the paper and packaging.