Relax your dinner time with this 30 Minute Healthy Stovetop Turkey Tetrazzini recipe. It’s quick and easy to make and is sure to become a new family favorite – plus it makes great use of Thanksgiving or Christmas leftovers!
I have to admit, I used to love standing in the kitchen for hours. But these days I’m memorizing every quick and easy one dish recipe I can get my hands on!
I try to limit the amount of pots and pans I’m using so my kitchen isn’t overflowing with dishes every day – we eat a lot of one pot meals and crockpot dinners! This pasta dish is a great way to use up holiday leftovers without having to do too much work after all that Thanksgiving cooking, ha!
Recipe tips and tricks
- If you don’t have cooked chicken or turkey on hand, I recommend using 1/2 to 1 pound fresh (depending on how big your eaters are). Poach it, bake it or grill it. Then shred to use in the pasta.
- Using a long, thin pasta shape is classic in this dish. However, you can also make this with a short shape like spirals or bowties (I do this a lot, because it’s much easier with little kids vs spaghetti).
- I usually make this with low fat milk and sour cream (those post-holiday food choices, am I right?!). But feel free to use regular.
It’s no secret that I love all sorts of comfort foods, and they’re not always healthy. There’s the Mozzarella Stuffed Bacon Wrapped Meatloaf for example, or the (undeniably adorable) Chicken and Mushroom Pot Pies.
But here I tried to keep things lighter while still making sure it’s a delicious and comforting dinner recipe. The milk and sour cream add enough creaminess to the dish that only one tablespoon of butter and a little bit of cheese are necessary to make it feel special!
More leftover turkey recipes
PS If you try this recipe, why not leave a star rating in the recipe card right below and/or a review in the comment section further down the page? I always appreciate your feedback! You can also follow me on Pinterest, Facebook or Instagram. Sign up for my email list, too!
30 Minute Lighter Stovetop Turkey Tetrazzini
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion optional
- 10 ounces sliced white button mushrooms
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 1/2 cups low-fat milk
- 1 (12-oz) box whole wheat spaghetti uncooked
- 2 cups cooked and shredded turkey or rotisserie chicken
- 1/2 cup fat-free sour cream
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese grated
- Italian parsley chopped (optional)
- Heat the oil in a large pot one medium-high heat. Add the onion (if using) and mushrooms and cook until starting to soften. This should take about 2-3 minutes.
- Pour the chicken stock and milk into the pot, cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Add the spaghetti to the pot and cook until almost al-dente, about 10 minutes. Stir in the cooked turkey meat and finish cooking until the pasta is done.
- Take the pot off the heat, stir in the sour cream, butter and cheese. Serve immediately garnished with chopped parsley, if you like.