This Healthy Applesauce Bread is a delicious fall treat that bakes up quick and easy. Serve it for breakfast or brunch slathered with butter and apple butter!
Are you in camp pumpkin or camp apple?
I’m firmly in camp both.
But not applesauce bread! (This reminds me, I also need to work on an Apple Bread recipe sometime…)
So, I decided to share my favorite applesauce bread!
This bread is easy to make and comes out so yummy!
Soft, fluffy… And just all around lovely, waiting to be slathered in butter for a lazy fall brunch.
It’s made with a few healthier swaps (whole wheat flour and Greek yogurt for the win!) and tastes of autumn, spice and all things nice.
My kids gobble this up like somebody is trying to steal it from them 😂
My tips to make this applesauce bread recipe absolutely foolproof:
- Don’t overmix the batter! This is so important when making quick breads, only fold the wet and dry ingredients together with a wooden spoon or spatula, never a whisk. And only stir until combined, a few lumps are absolutely fine!
- Add spice to your taste. I’m using a full tablespoon of apple pie spice, but if you don’t have that or don’t like it as much, you can also use cinnamon or a mix of pumpkin spice and cinnamon.
- Use the right applesauce: Make sure you’re using thick-style, unsweetened applesauce in this recipe. Thinner or sweetened applesauce will alter how your bread bakes up.
- Switch it up: You can also add 1 chopped apple to the batter, if you prefer a chunkier bread!
Can you freeze applesauce bread?
You can! It’s easier to freeze without a streusel topping though.
- wait for the bread to come to room temperature
- pack into a bag or container that’s suitable for freezing
- defrost on the counter and warm in the oven, toaster or microwave if you like
Get the printable recipe here:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon apple pie spice (or use cinnamon, or a mix of cinnamon and pumpkin spice)
- 1.5 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup thick-style unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 2-4 tablespoons melted butter OR oil
- 1/4 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons chopped pecans
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2-3 tablespoons cold butter
- Prep: Line a 5x9inch loaf pan. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Combine dry ingredients: Add all dry ingredients to a large bowl and mix well.
- Combine wet ingredients: Add all wet ingredients to a large measuring jug and mix well.
- Make topping: Stir oats, brown sugar, pecans and cinnamon together in a small bowl. Add butter and blend in until crumbs form.
- Combine wet and dry: Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and fold JUST until combined. Do NOT overmix!
- Bake: Add batter to prepared loaf pan. Add topping, lightly pushing it into the top of the bread. Bake for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Cool: Cool in the pan for 5-10 minutes, then remove to a cooling rack.