For the Beef:
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon dried garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 pound beef round (cut into strips)
For the Broccoli:
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 pound broccoli (in florets)
- Marinate beef: Whisk beef broth, soy sauce, sesame oil, brown sugar, cornstarch and spices together in a medium bowl. Stir in the beef and set aside.
- Cook broccoli: Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add the broccoli and stir fry until just tender, about 5 minutes. Remove from the pan and set aside on a plate.
- Cook beef: Increase the heat to medium-high. Add the beef with the marinade to the hot pan and stir-fry until beef is just cooked, 30 seconds to 2 minutes (depending on how done you want it).
- Finish dish: Stir the broccoli into the beef and simmer for 30-60 seconds, until sauce has thickened.
Step by Step Recipe Video
- beef broth: if you don’t have any beef broth on hand, you can use chicken broth. the sauce will be less rich, but still delicious.
- toasted sesame oil: this does add a nice flavor, but it’s an ingredient I know not everybody has on hand. Just use a neutral oil to replace it, and sprinkle the dish with sesame seeds before serving, if you have those.
- brown sugar: calm down, people, it’s just 1 teaspoon 😉 if you want to avoid the sugar, use honey/maple syrup or skip it completely.
- beef: do use a tender cut like beef round to make sure it’s absolutely tender and delicious after a short cooking time.
- broccoli: I used fresh, but frozen broccoli is OK, too. I would defrost before using it, and you’ll have to be OK with it being a little more mushy.
- don’t overcook the beef or it will turn out tough
- don’t overcook the broccoli either, or it will get smashed when you stir it into the beef and sauce
- we love this served over rice, but Asian noodles work really well, too – when I make noodles, I toss them in the skillet with the beef and broccoli
Try these easy beef recipes next:
I have never met a busy mom who doesn’t love a good 30 minute meal – because I know I most definitely live for those easy dinners. Here are some more simple beef recipes to try: