Easy Chicken Fried Rice is a quick and simple dinner you can make any night of the week. This stir fry is ready in just 30 minutes, full of healthy vegetables and kid-friendly, too!
Stir fry dinners are some of my absolute favorites: Quick, full of colorful vegetables and my kids love them.
Some nights (… a lot of nights…) I really don’t feel like cooking.
Long days working and looking after my sweet monkeys are really not the ideal prelude to finding energy to spend time in the kitchen.
But… Usually, those monkeys want to eat more than bananas 😉
But I finally wanted to share my go-to basic chicken fried rice recipe with you.
There’s something about having a meal bank with tried and true family favorites, recipes you don’t have to look up and can just jot the ingredients down on the grocery list.
It makes meal planning, shopping and cooking so easy – some seasons in life are simply not made for new recipes every single night.
If you learn how to make fried rice, you can really make it any way you like:
With different vegetables, a different protein – or even with noodles instead of rice!
My tips to make this chicken fried rice recipe foolproof:
- Dice everything fairly small: That counts for both the chicken and the vegetables. Not only will they cook faster, but I also prefer having everything bite-sized in fried rice.
- Make sure to brown the chicken enough: The more nicely you brown it, the better the flavor of the finished dish will be!
- Use cold rice: Either use day-old rice, or cook it fresh, rinse under cold water and then freeze while you’re cooking the rest of the dish.
More often than not, fried rice is a kind of a last-minute meal for me, so I hardly ever have day-old rice on hand.
I promise, it absolutely works with freshly cooked rice that’s been chilled, too.
Also, it’s still a gazillion times better than eating bananas for dinner, right?
Watch me make this easy chicken fried rice:
Get the printable recipe for this easy chicken fried rice:
Easy Chicken Fried Rice
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 large chicken breasts diced into bite-sized pieces
- 2 large onions diced
- 3 medium carrots diced
- 1 red pepper diced
- 2 cups cooked and chilled rice
- 3 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 large eggs beaten
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- Sesame seeds and sliced green onion to serve (optional)
- Brown the chicken: Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the chicken on all sides, until browned.
- Sauté the vegetables: Add the onions and carrots and cook until the onions turn translucent, about 3 minutes. Add the pepper and cook until softened.
- Cook the rice: Stir in the rice and cook until it's starting to brown. Stir in the soy sauce and maple syrup.
- Cook the egg: Push the fried rice to the side of the pan to make room in the middle. Add the beaten eggs and cook over medium-low heat until just set. Cut into pieces with a spatula and stir into the rice.
- Finish the dish: Add the peas, stir everything well and cook until they're hot.
- Serve: Serve immediately sprinkled with sesame seeds and sliced green onion, if you like.