If you’re a fan of potato cakes (and have some leftover mashed potatoes on hand!), why not try Boxty for St. Patrick’s Day? These Irish potato pancakes use a mix of raw and cooked potatoes to make a perfectly festive snack.
I don’t know what it is with potato pancakes, but I could eat them every single day. They’re just so good! We love them with applesauce and sour cream as dipping sauces on the side, but they’re also delicious with Lingonberry jam, with bacon and eggs… So many ways to eat these!
I honestly don’t know where the name “Boxty” came from, but it helps 100% to get the kids excited about these – I mean, not that it’s hard to get them to eat a potato pancake. But the fun name makes it even better ☺️☘️
📹 Full Recipe Video
🥣 Step by Step
1 Shred the raw potatoes on a coarse grater, then squeeze out any extra liquid.
2 Combine the shredded potatoes with all other ingredients in a bowl. It should look like a thick, messy pancake batter.
3 Pan-fry heaping tablespoons of the batter over medium-high heat in oil, until golden brown on either side. Serve hot with your favorite sides!
Like I said, sour cream and applesauce – I can’t have potato pancakes without these! If you know of any other uber-Irish toppings or serving suggestions for Boxty, please share in the comments! 🍀
- 2 cups raw shredded potatoes (extra liquid squeezed out with a clean kitchen towel)
- 1 cup mashed potatoes (cold (leftovers work great!))
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (or more to taste)
- 2 pinches ground nutmeg
- 2 large eggs
- 3-4 tablespoons milk
- butter or oil (to cook)
- applesauce (sour cream… anything you want to dip or on the side!)
- Combine all ingredients (EXCEPT for oil and toppings/sides) in a large bowl. Add another 1-2 tablespoons of milk as needed, should be the consistency of a thick, messy pancake batter.
- Heat some oil or butter in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add a heaping tablespoon per cake to the hot skillet and cook until golden brown on either side, about 3-4 minutes each. Serve hot!