- 1.5 pounds beef round (cut into strips)
- 4-6 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion (finely diced)
- 1/2 pound mushrooms (sliced)
- 1 10- oz can beef broth
- 1/2 cup water (or more as needed)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 8- oz pot sour cream
- egg noodles (rice or mashed potatoes (to serve))
- Prep the beef: Toss the beef strips in 4-6 tablespoons of flour (depending on how thick you want the sauce to be – more flour yields a thicker sauce).
- Brown the beef: Heat the butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Brown the beef in batches. Do not overcrowd the pan! And you only need to cook the beef for 30-60 seconds per side – this is a cut that only needs a short cooking time. Remove the browned beef to a plate and continue until you have browned all the meat.
- Sauté the vegetables: Add the onion and mushrooms to the hot skillet and sauté until softened. Add some more butter if needed.
- Deglaze the pan: Pour chicken broth into the pan, scraping any browned bits off the bottom of the skillet. Simmer until it has thickened into a gravy. Add more broth or water as needed and season with salt to your taste.
- Finish the sauce: Stir the meat back into the sauce and heat through. Stir a litte of the sauce into the sour cream (to warm it up so it doesn’t split!), then quickly stir it into the sauce in the pan. Serve immediately with your favorite sides.
Step by Step Photos:
- do brown the beef in batches (I know it’s annoying, but it’s worth it!) – if you overcrowd the pan, it will turn out soggy
- don’t overcook the meat! please don’t believe the recipes telling you to cook stroganoff for a crazy amount of time. This cut of beef is delicate and only needs a short cooking time.
- If you don’t like mushrooms, you can just leave them out!
Not Freezer Friendly!I frequently get eMails about freezing this dish, but I do not recommend it. The quality of the meat will not be the same as cooked fresh, and the sauce with the sour cream and mushrooms is not the best for reheating.
Some of our Favorite Side Dishes:Starchy Sides Vegetable Sides
More Homemade Comfort Food:
Or browse all of my easy beef recipes here!
P.S: If you tried this recipe, why not leave me a comment below to let me know how you liked it?
I LOVE interacting with you and hearing about your experience with my recipe. Also, by adding a comment and star rating you’re helping Savory Nothings grow and get even better for you!