This Easy Beef Stroganoff is quick to make and tastes amazing. Serve with egg noodles or over mashed potatoes for the perfect family meal!
We love sauce here, and especially creamy sauces with meat! For more saucy comfort food recipes, see my Instant Pot Sour Cream Pork Chops, my Homemade Salisbury Steak or my Instant Pot Sun-Dried Tomato Chicken Thighs!
Are you a saucy person?
I ask, because I don’t do food without sauces. And especially not when it comes to creamy, luscious sauces like in this Beef Stroganoff recipe, yum!
I have to say, this stroganoff is one of my all-time favorite recipes. It’s quick, it’s easy and it tastes so good, even the kids eat it all up 😉
This Easy Beef Stroganoff Recipe
- is super quick to make
- has a creamy, dreamy, luscious sauce that’s perfect to mop up with mashed potatoes or noodles
- is a classic recipe every home cook should have up their sleeve!
I know, beef isn’t always everyone’s favorite (hello red meat), but especially now that I’m nursing? I seriously feel my energy slumping away when I don’t eat enough of it.
How to Make Beef Stroganoff:
Read on for the detailed steps to make this traditional beef stroganoff, or scroll down for more tips to make this recipe foolproof and the printable recipe card.
1 – Prep: First, you’ll need to chop and onion and slice some mushrooms.
Toss the beef strips in some flour as well and set out a plate.
2 – Brown the beef: First, you’ll need to melt some butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
Brown the beef in batches (if you overcrowd the pan, it will get soggy). This cut of beef doesn’t need to cook long, so watch it closely or you’ll overcook it!
You’re going to remove the beef from the skillet and put it on the plate you set aside until you’ve browned all the meat.
3 – Sautée mushrooms and onion: No need to wipe the pan (so much flavor in there already!), but add a bit more butter.
Then, add the onion and mushrooms to the skillet and sauté until softened.
4 – Deglaze the pan: Pour the broth into the pan, scraping any browned bits off the bottom of the skillet.
Simmer until it has thickened into a gravy. Add more broth or water as needed and season with salt to your taste.
5 – Finish the sauce: Stir the meat back into the sauce and heat through.
Stir a litte of the sauce into the sour cream (to warm it up so it doesn’t split!), then quickly stir it into the sauce in the pan.
Serve immediately over noodles, rice or mashed potatoes! Don’t let this stand for too long (and don’t simmer the meat too long, either!) – this cut of beef turns out tough if overcooked.
Tips for the BEST Beef Stroganoff:
- do brown the beef in batches (I know it’s annoying, but it’s worth it!) – if you overcrowd the pan, it will turn out soggy
- don’t overcook the meat! please don’t believe the recipes telling you to cook stroganoff for a crazy amount of time. This cut of beef is delicate and only needs a short cooking time.
- If you don’t like mushrooms, you can just leave them out!
Can you freeze beef stroganoff?
I do not recommend freezing this dish.
The quality of the meat will not be the same as cooked fresh, and the sauce with the sour cream and mushrooms is not the best for reheating.
How to make beef stroganoff thicker?
If your sauce hasn’t thickened enough to your liking, you can add a cornstarch slurry.
Place 1-2 teaspoons of cornstarch into a jar and mix it with 1-2 tablespoons of cool water.
Stir this into the stroganoff (you need to stir it in quickly and very well to evenly distribute!) and gently simmer until it has thickened.
What to Serve with Beef Stroganoff:
Beef stroganoff is traditionally served with egg noodles.
Here are some of our other favorite side dishes:
More Homemade Comfort Food:
- Homemade Salisbury Steak
- Mozzarella Stuffed Bacon Wrapped Meatloaf
- Easy Swedish Meatballs
- Beef Tips and Gravy Skillet
P.S: If you tried this recipe, why not leave me a comment below to let me know how you liked it?
I LOVE interacting with you and hearing about your experience with my recipe. Also, by adding a comment and star rating you’re helping Savory Nothings grow and get even better for you!
Easy Beef Stroganoff
- 1.5 pounds beef round cut into strips
- 4-6 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion chopped
- 1/2 pound mushrooms sliced
- 1 10- oz can beef broth
- 1/2 cup water or more as needed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 8- oz pot sour cream
- egg noodles rice or mashed potatoes (to serve)
- Prep the beef: Toss the beef strips in 4-6 tablespoons of flour (depending on how thick you want the sauce to be – more flour yields a thicker sauce).
- Brown the beef: Heat the butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Brown the beef in batches. Do not overcrowd the pan! And you only need to cook the beef for 30-60 seconds per side – this is a cut that only needs a short cooking time. Remove the browned beef to a plate and continue until you have browned all the meat.
- Sauté the vegetables: Add the onion and mushrooms to the hot skillet and sauté until softened. Add some more butter if needed.
- Deglaze the pan: Pour chicken broth into the pan, scraping any browned bits off the bottom of the skillet. Simmer until it has thickened into a gravy. Add more broth or water as needed and season with salt to your taste.
- Finish the sauce: Stir the meat back into the sauce and heat through. Stir a litte of the sauce into the sour cream (to warm it up so it doesn’t split!), then quickly stir it into the sauce in the pan. Serve immediately with your favorite sides.