If you’ve been wondering how to roast asparagus, you’ve come to the right recipe! It’s quick, easy and absolutely foolproof – the BEST way to make asparagus!
My family owns a farm, and their biggest crop is asparagus.
Needless to say, I grew up eating tons of it every spring. We only ever steamed it though, but when I met my husband he showed me how to ROAST it instead.
Honestly, so much better 😉 And very easy to do, too!
How to Best Roast Asparagus:
Toss everything straight on the pan:
I always see so many recipes using unnecessary dishes and bowls, and while I’m a neat freak and clean up my kitchen after every meal…
I still don’t want to do extra work.
Simply use a rimmed baking pan and toss the asparagus, oil and seasoning together right on it.
Do not line your pan:
I mean, unless you line it with aluminum foil for easy clean-up. But do not use parchment paper or silicone baking mats – they’ll make for soggy asparagus vs roasted spears.
I know, I know… Makes the pan harder to clean.
But honestly? You’ll have to clean it even if using parchment, that’s just the nature of roasting stuff.
Do not over-roast your asparagus!
Yep, over-roast. Technical term right there.
Trust me, your asparagus does NOT need 30-40 minutes in a 400°F oven. Unless you have absolute monster spears.
But regular asparagus stalks take 10-15 minutes to roast. If you roast it for too long, it will get mushy and soggy. Boo.
Season to taste:
This is a very basic recipe, and you can absolutely season it to suit your taste.
- drizzle with balsamic vinegar before roasting
- toss with garlic butter after roasting
- toss with grated parmesan after roasting
How to Roast Asparagus
* These are affiliate links and I make a commission for purchases made after clicking through.
- 2 pounds asparagus tough ends trimmed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried garlic powder
- salt & pepper to taste
- fresh lemon juice or your favorite seasoning, optional
- Prep: Preheat oven to 400°Lightly grease a rimmed sheet pan.
- Season asparagus: Place asparagus on the prepared sheet pan and season with olive oil, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Make sure to toss it well, then spread in a single layer.
- Roast: Roast the asparagus for 10-15 minutes, or until tender.
- Finish: Drizzle with lemon juice just before serving, if using