This easy gingerbread muffin recipe yields amazing bakery-style results! You will love these because they are quick to make and go easy on fat and sugar. The best healthy holiday recipe.
While I do love decadent holiday baking… Sometimes I need to balance all the butter and sugar with something a little lighter! Especially when it comes to breakfasts and snacks during the holiday season, I like to steer clear of too many heavy treats.
This recipe for gingerbread muffins ticks all of the boxes for me: It’s made with part whole wheat flour, sweetened mainly with honey and molasses and gets its moisture from Greek yogurt and applesauce.
- Do not overmix the batter! You want it to be lumpy and just barely combined, otherwise the muffins come out flat and dense.
- This recipe works in a regular OR in a jumbo muffin pan (the muffins in the photos I baked in the jumbo pan).
- I skip the crystallized ginger for my kids. But because I love it so much myself, I just stick some in the top of one or two muffins right before baking.
- If you don’t have gingerbread spice mix readily available, try my recipe for homemade Gingerbread Spice Mix!
Store the muffins in an airtight container on the counter for up to 2 days.
These muffins freeze really well. Place the cooled muffins in freezer bags and label with the name and use-by date. Freeze for up to 3 months.
To defrost, remove from the freezer bag and set on a wire rack on the counter. Allow to defrost a few hours. Warm in the microwave, if you like.
More gingerbread treats
PS If you try this recipe, why not leave a star rating in the recipe card right below and/or a review in the comment section further down the page? I always appreciate your feedback! You can also follow me on Pinterest, Facebook or Instagram. Sign up for my email list, too!
Triple Ginger Gingerbread Muffins
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup runny honey
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons molasses don’t use blackstrap
- 1/2 cup milk I used 2%, fat free works as well
- 1/2 cup low fat Greek yogurt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger root minced
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- Pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup crystallized ginger chopped (OR substitute golden raisins OR omit)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- Preheat the oven to 360°F and lightly grease a jumbo muffin pan or spray with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl whisk together all wet ingredients. Sift in the dry ingredients and stir until just combined, a few lumps are ok. Gently fold in the crystallized ginger.
- Distribute the batter evenly amongst the muffin cups, sprinkle with brown sugar and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.