This Favorite Gingerbread Spiced Hot Chocolate recipe will leave you with an amazingly delicious holiday drink! There’s no coffee involved so your kids can enjoy it too plus it’s ready in less than 10 minutes!
Did you notice the holiday season started? No? So you haven’t bought a Starbucks drink in the festive red cup yet?
#psl is over for another year which means #gbsl announces the start of all things red, white and green. And yes guys, #gbsl does mean Gingerbread Spice Latte and no, I don’t expect it to catch on. But either way, this is a super easy holiday drink, perfect for the kids as there’s no coffee in it!
How to make this hot chocolate
Now about this recipe – you might be hesitant with putting molasses in a chocolate drink. I was too! But believe you me, no getting an authentic gingerbread taste without those molasses!
There’s also some honey in there because no gingerbread recipe is truly complete without honey.
And it’s so simple – just whisk all ingredients together in a small pot, heat up, pour into a hip mason jar (OK, a normal cup will do as well – bonus points if it’s red!) and top with an insane amount of whipped cream.
Tips and tricks
- Don’t use blackstrap molasses, they’re too bitter. Regular molasses (like for baking cookies) are perfect here.
- You can put the ingredients in a slow cooker and cook on low for 2 hours if you like. Great for a party!
- Serve with whipped cream and marshmallows for the ultimate treat!
This is such a festive drink – rich with warm spices and so perfect for the holidays. I hope you’ll give it a try to cozy up with!
More holiday comfort
Favorite Gingerbread Spiced Hot Chocolate
- 4 cups milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 4 teaspoons gingerbread spice (if you don’t have gingerbread spice mix readily available you can use a mix of cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg and ginger)
- 1/4 cup dutch processed cocoa powder unsweetened
- 4 oz semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup sugar or more to taste
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon dark molasses
- 1 pinch salt
- Whipped cream and marshmallows optional for topping
- Add all ingredients to a small pot and bring to a simmer while whisking. Heat until the sugar has dissolved and serve hot topped with whipped cream if desired.