This Easy Peppermint Bark Recipe is. a great no bake treat to make for Christmas. Give it away as a DIY gift, or keep it all to yourself – it’s so delicious, nobody would ever judge you for it.
Chocolate Bark will always remind me of Christmas. We had this shop where I grew up, and around Christmas time they would fill their shop windows will all kinds of different chocolate barks.
I was obsessed with staring into that window, and my biggest treat was always when I was allowed to buy myself a small piece.
Also, I really don’t mind chocolate bark as a year round thing – it’s just so delicious!
Now as far as peppermint is concerned, that’s something I usually keep firmly within Christmas boundaries. I love it, but to me it’s just as seasonal a flavor as gingerbread.
How do you make chocolate peppermint bark?
If you’ve always been buying your peppermint bark, you’ll love hearing that it’s actually super easy to make at home.
All there’s to it is melting chocolate, freezing the layers until solid, and sprinkling on some crushed candy cane.
Super, super easy.
My best tips to make perfect peppermint bark:
- Freeze well: Make sure you freeze the individual layers until completely firm and chilled. If your bottom layer is not frozen enough, pouring on the white chocolate layer will mix it all up.
- Pick the right chocolate: You need melting chocolate for this recipe, NOT heat-stable baking chips! Melting chocolate chips or just regular chocolate bars will work just fine. Buy a premium bar like Lindt if you want to be all fancy. Do not use candy melts.
- Adjust the peppermint extract to your taste: Use less or more, just make sure you don’t add too much. You can leave it out entirely if you want a milder peppermint taste.
How long does homemade peppermint bark last?
On the counter:
Homemade Peppermint Bark lasts for about 2 weeks in an airtight container on the counter.
I actually prefer to store it in the fridge because I love it chilled, and there’s no chance of it getting soft.
Looking for more no bake Christmas treats?
- No Bake Chocolate Peanut Butter Bars
- No-Bake Millionaire’s Shortbread Bars
- Orange and Sea Salt Dark Chocolate Covered Almonds
Get the printable recipe here:
Easy Peppermint Bark Recipe
- 8 oz dark chocolate chopped
- 8 oz white chocolate chopped
- 1 teaspoon shortening OR coconut oil divided
- 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract not essential oil, not "mint"
- 8 crushed peppermint candies
- Line an 8x8 or 9x9 inch square pan with parchment paper, leaving an overhang so you can lift out the entire bar later.
- Melt the dark chocolate. Stir in 1/2 teaspoon shortening OR coconut oil, and 1/8 teaspoon peppermint extract. Evenly spread it in the prepared pan. Freeze until solid.
- Melt the white chocolate. Stir in the remaining 1/2 teaspoon shortening OR coconut oil, and 1/8 teaspoon peppermint extract. Carefully spread over the frozen dark chocolate, taking care not to push down too much or the dark chocolate will start melting into it.
- Sprinkle the crushed peppermint candies over the white chocolate and gently push into the top without disturbing the chocolate.
- Freeze the chocolate bark until solid. Leave out at room temperature for 10 minutes before breaking or cutting into pieces. Store in an airtight container for 2 weeks - best in the fridge.